Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2012, 07:01 AM
Top Prospect

If Apple could not export its iPads from China, Apple would stop making them in China. There would be a slight cost hit for Taiwan, or production delays for other SE Asia countries. I am also sure China knows this. There could be some cash involved but doubt this will ever get that interesting.
Old February 15, 2012, 08:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtktam View Post
People don't understand that if you don't enforce your copyright and/or patents then you lose it..

so they went out and patent some stuff and bought others.. then starting enforcing them.. so what?

a lot of people fail to mention that samsung went into an OPEN STANDARD forum.. contributed some tech that was patented but not disclosed.. then when it became THE standard.. they turn around to sue..

Apple’s patent plea: Stop Samsung and Motorola from holding us hostage

-joe
What? Apple started this... Apple is trying to hold everyone else hostage with their patents, have you read any of the patents? They are so vague some of them are like "A certain motion defined by a flick on a portable electronic device" what the hell kind of patent is that, it's crap but Apple has the money so they are trying to eliminate the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herne View Post
If Apple could not export its iPads from China, Apple would stop making them in China. There would be a slight cost hit for Taiwan, or production delays for other SE Asia countries. I am also sure China knows this. There could be some cash involved but doubt this will ever get that interesting.
This can't be done over night though, Foxconn can't just drop everything they are doing in Taiwan (which considering their relations with the Chinese the ban might also be enforced their) to build iPads. Foxconn does not exist to build apple products, I'd bet atleast 6 months before they would be back in production somewhere else for a lot more money.
Old February 15, 2012, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
People don't understand that if you don't enforce your copyright and/or patents then you lose it..

so they went out and patent some stuff and bought others.. then starting enforcing them.. so what?

a lot of people fail to mention that samsung went into an OPEN STANDARD forum.. contributed some tech that was patented but not disclosed.. then when it became THE standard.. they turn around to sue..

Apple’s patent plea: Stop Samsung and Motorola from holding us hostage

-joe
You're kidding, right?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 15, 2012, 09:29 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I truly hope he is...or he is about to OD on the Apple Koolaid (i dont think anyone can survive ingesting that amount of ANYTHING without being poisoned).

Apple is behind the curve on tech. They had the lead and let it slip through their fingers (as usual) and now instead of innovating or moving on to the next big thing (like they always have in the past) they instead are trying to throw their weight around with BS legal shenanigans (srsly....a lawsuit over a competitors product having rounded edges?!). This actually is a tactic that has worked well for them in the past (as they like to steal a LOT of their 'ideas' from small company's and then tie the small fries up in court until they give up and / or die)....but this time around they are up against companies with a) deeper patent portfolios b) 800lb gorillas in their own right c) a shit ton of money to throw at lawyers d) a LOT of friends with a/b/c who ALSO are pissed off at apple. In the case of this lawsuit its ALSO against a company that is basically backed by the ChiCom government. Apple KNEW "iPad" was already patented in China...and didnt care. They though they would do what they always do...and ignore the rules (kinda like they are doing with Sammy and their patents). Well...that aint gonna fly THIS time. I hope the Chinese gov approves the injunction and stops exports...or the Billion+ ruling is upheld and Apple bleeds green on this one.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 15, 2012, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Apple Files Suit against Galaxy Nexus

And it goes on and on and on and on and on and on...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 15, 2012, 09:54 AM
Top Prospect

did you guys even read what samsung did with the 3g standard?

-joe
Old February 15, 2012, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
did you guys even read what samsung did with the 3g standard?

-joe
Did you even read what Apple did with using touch devices...Every gesture to do anything on an iPhone is patented, Apple created a standard with using touch screens and then tried to close the door.

I don't know why you think Apple is some white knight trying to save the mobile communications device industry. The fact is Apple is doing the same thing and has been doing the same thing since the release of the iPhone, you can't make a mobile touch screen device without Apple getting up your ass about it.

Apple is pretty much saying that once enough people license your patents, your patents should no longer be upheld because it is a standard and that they should no longer have to pay to use someone elses technology. Funny stuff.

Edit: They aren't allegedly infringing, they infringe, Apple knows it, Motorolla and Samsung know it, it's just a matter of getting the evidence into court. Apple applied to use the technology couldn't come to terms and then used the technology anyways.

Last edited by JJThomp; February 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old February 15, 2012, 11:25 AM
Top Prospect

so you saying they created the market (i.e. standardize on all the gestures) and made people licence it.. it's in the clear

what samsung did was sneak in their own patent into the 3g standard (like Rambus did previously) and then only pull it out to sue Apple when it was advantage for them to do so.. that's the difference

i never said Apple was white knight.. but at least they didn't sneak sh1t into open standard committees.. rembember what Rambus did

Dutch court rejects Samsung patent claims against Apple - Telecommunication, smartphones, Samsung Electronics, patent, Mobile OSes, mobile, legal, iPhone, iOS, intellectual property, consumer electronics, applications, Apple, Android - Apple - Hardwa

-joe
Old February 15, 2012, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
so you saying they created the market (i.e. standardize on all the gestures) and made people licence it.. it's in the clear

what samsung did was sneak in their own patent into the 3g standard (like Rambus did previously) and then only pull it out to sue Apple when it was advantage for them to do so.. that's the difference

i never said Apple was white knight.. but at least they didn't sneak sh1t into open standard committees.. rembember what Rambus did

Dutch court rejects Samsung patent claims against Apple - Telecommunication, smartphones, Samsung Electronics, patent, Mobile OSes, mobile, legal, iPhone, iOS, intellectual property, consumer electronics, applications, Apple, Android - Apple - Hardwa

-joe

Samsung pulled it out after they got sued for having a device with rounded edges... I don't blame Samsung.
Old February 15, 2012, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Every company has to have a huge amount of patents for defence. Thats why companies buy other companies for patents. If you don't have enough patents then you are in big trouble. Basically the big companies have so many patents that if one company tries to sue them they can say we will sue you with x patents. This whole patent system needs a major overhaul but wont happen.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."