Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2012, 04:59 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Apple MS and RIM just got the green light for control of Nortels mound of patents, there's bound to be plenty more trolling, patent trolling that is.
Old February 13, 2012, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What really disgusts me is the patents themselves. These things are so stupidly vague that it is very easy for them to sure pretty much any phone or tablet or pc maker.

The following taken from MobileSyrup
Quote:
1. (U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647) “system and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data” – ITC recently ordered an import ban against HTC and Foss says it “should be a slam dunk” for Apple.
2. (U.S. Patent No. 8,086,604) on a “universal interface for retrieval of information in a computer system”, a patent related to Siri and unified search
3. (U.S. Patent No. 8,046,721) “unlocking a device by performing gestures on an unlock image”a new slide-to-unlock patent
4. (U.S. Patent No. 8,074,172) a “method, system, and graphical user interface for providing word recommendations” – a word completion patent that provides major speed improvements for touchscreen text entry.
Seriously recommending words? Unlocking a device by using gestures? Or how about the universal interface for retrieval of information? Could that not be interprited to mean anything used to get information from a computer? Seriously this patent stuff just makes me sick.

And as for the ads, talk about a giant whiny bit@# Apple is being.

Old February 13, 2012, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

plus, all the features they are claiming to have been stolen are just silly. predictive text has been available in just about any virtual keyboard. tap data transfer, ehh, it's neat, and I can't think of anything that's using it aside from apple (if I'm wrong, feel free to point it out). voice search, hmm, that sounds a lot like voice recognition, something that's been out there for a long time. and picture login, I haven't seen an apple product with that (it might just be that it was hidden behind some other massive BS they pulled up though).
Old February 13, 2012, 05:08 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

The US patent system is a joke, patent lawyers make a killing defending that sort of crap in court.
Old February 13, 2012, 05:12 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I would swear that Kurzweil has been using predictive text for ages...longer than Apple has been making ifons.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 13, 2012, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

I was watching the Grammys last night and they said Steve Jobs was a pioneer in the Digital Music Industry.. Uh how?
Old February 13, 2012, 05:49 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I was watching the Grammys last night and they said Steve Jobs was a pioneer in the Digital Music Industry.. Uh how?
itunes i think
Old February 13, 2012, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
itunes i think
Napster? Remember that? Way before iTunes time.
Old February 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

RIAA didn't make any money off Napster though so ef them.
Old February 13, 2012, 06:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Let me start off by saying I'm not an apple fanatic. But the pioneering in digital music was the "seamless" incorporation of itunes to both buy the music and sync/transfer it to the ipod.

There were other mp3 players and other music download services, but apple was the first to incorporate the whole thing into one interface.