Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2012, 05:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Laser-switched magnetic storage is 1,000 times faster than current hard drives

Quote:
Instead of switching a magnetic region using a magnetic field (like a hard drive head), the researchers have managed to switch a ferrimagnetic nanoisland using lasers. Storing magnetic data using lasers is up to 1,000 times faster than writing to a conventional hard drive.
To achieve this, the researchers created ferrimagnetic nanoislands (pictured above) out of an alloy of iron and gadolinium (a rare earth metal). When these nanoislands are struck by a 60-femtosecond laser (0.06 picoseconds, or 0.00006 nanoseconds) their magnetism switches (pictured below). If you know a little about the science of magnetism, you’ll know that this behavior is rather funky as we usually associate heat with destroying magnetism, rather than switching it.
but they are a long ways from practical HDD because they have no way to read it without a room sized electron microscope type machine.

Refreshing News: Laser-switched magnetic storage is 1,000 times faster than current hard drives
Old February 9, 2012, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

This is a useless technology until they find w substitution for gadolinium because that stuff is super hard to find. Also as stated in the full article those.microscopes are huge. Until our computers take up entire rooms again this cant happen. Interesting but useless.
Old February 9, 2012, 07:45 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Yea but isn't loading up a game faster than you can blink your eye worth having a computer the size of a room?

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old February 9, 2012, 07:51 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Microscope the size of a large room? How's this, the first 'computer' with a 'hard drive':

1956, IBM. 5Mb of data space. BBC News | Enlarged Image
We've come a long way since, and if those new laser HDDs ever become a reality, the researchers will find a way to minituarize the microscope, just like they did from the 1st HDD...
Old February 9, 2012, 08:41 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Could you imagine if our hard drives were that large these days? I can only imagine a scenario like this: Guy is working and hammering away in the backyard and wife comes home. Wife says "Hey honey are you building that shed that we need for all the garden tools?" Guy in reply "No I'm building a shed for my new hard drive" Wife facepalms

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old February 9, 2012, 09:41 PM
Rookie

What ticks me off about all of this is that there doesn't really seem to be any benefit for gaming to having faster storage. Here's some simple math:

Entire game size = ~10GB
My RAID array = ~1GB/s
My RAM = 16GB

Why not just load the whole stupid thing from the SSD into the RAM in 10 seconds, and then run it from there.

Computers are only slow because everything is designed for the lowest common denominator.

/rant

But seriously I guess this'll be cool/relevant in another 5-15 years (Y)
Old February 10, 2012, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickEnuf4U View Post
What ticks me off about all of this is that there doesn't really seem to be any benefit for gaming to having faster storage. Here's some simple math:

Entire game size = ~10GB
My RAID array = ~1GB/s
My RAM = 16GB

Why not just load the whole stupid thing from the SSD into the RAM in 10 seconds, and then run it from there.

Computers are only slow because everything is designed for the lowest common denominator.

/rant

But seriously I guess this'll be cool/relevant in another 5-15 years (Y)
Most games I play are 15-20gb. I know the smaller games should have the option to run in ram.

SSD's do have a huge impact on some games. For example games that have a lot of high res textures to reduce texture popping, games with procedural loading really benefit from that. Games with a lot of loading also benefit as you don't have to wait as much. Some games like hearts of iron 3 for example when using the speed up options you will really see the difference. It will go much much faster. Hearts of Iron 3 at max speed so far is the best example that I have come across.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."