Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2012, 07:24 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default iOS more unstable than Android [PC World]

I got a chuckle out of this. I can say that I have had equal number of issues with iOS and Android personally, and I have to support these things at work with large numbers of devices:
Quote:
Mobile app monitoring company Crittercism released data Friday on crash reports from the period December 1 through December 15, and saying iOS has stability issues is putting it nicely. By a 2-to-1 margin, iOS crashes much more frequently than Android, according to Crittercism’s report. The biggest offender is iOS 5.0.1, accounting for 28.64 percent of all crashes.

By comparison, the most crash-prone Android operating system is 2.3.3, accounting for 3.86 percent of reports. That’s a huge difference and is sure to get the Apple blogosphere in an uproar over the survey’s methodology.

Yes, the firm’s work did have a disproportionate number of iOS devices in the test (162 million to 52 million for Android). However, to blunt that criticism, Crittercism split the data into quartiles, and looked at the crashes as a percentage of app launches.

The story is the same. In the top quartile, iOS apps crashed .51 percent of the time versus .15 percent for Android; in the second quartile 1.47 percent to .73 percent; and in the bottom quartile 3.66 percent to 2.97 percent. The data favors Android once again.
Who's the Smartphone OS Crash Champion? | PCWorld
Fold for team #54196
Old February 7, 2012, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hrm. Ive yet to have my phone crash yet. Ive had a couple games crash unless that is what they are referring to as a 'crash'? It says iOS tho, not apps...Could be the same with Android tho too?

*shrug* Data is so easy to skew any way you want it to say. Without releasing all the info, we'll never know what the numbers really say.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old February 7, 2012, 07:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i get alot of "unfortunately (insert app name here) has stopped working" on my Galaxy Nexus.

still like it better than the wife's iphone.
Old February 7, 2012, 07:42 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Further in the article it mentions that app crashes is included in these numbers.
Quote:
What’s causing the instability in iOS? It’s a good question without an easy answer. Apple’s walled garden approach in the App Store could leave a disproportionate number of users with outdated and buggy apps. Developers must wait to get updates approved by Apple just like the first time they submitted their apps; Android developers can choose to allow for auto-updating without any need for the Android market.
Even Apple’s iAd is at fault: Crittercism received reports that the Cupertino, California company’s advertising platform at times does not play nice with developers’ ads, causing instability.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 7, 2012, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Further in the article it mentions that app crashes is included in these numbers.
Could be the discrepancy between number of (buggy) apps that are fleshed out on iOS, not to mention the pure volume of apps available (and sold/downloaded) vs Android.

Besides, when you're only making 7% selling on Android, compared to what you could sell an app on iOS (citation) why wouldn't you 'beta' it on iOS?

So yeah, with those two considerations, I can totally believe iOS apps crash more.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about