Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2012, 02:04 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default Hands on With the Samsung Galaxy Note

“It could have been a server ten years ago,” remarks Samsung’s Ken Price about the device in his hand.

Mr. Price, Samsung Canada’s Director of Mobile Marketing, is referring to the Samsung Galaxy Note, the company’s half-smartphone half-tablet – called a “phablet” by some – expected to be released in North America mid-February (it was unveiled in Europe and Asia late last year).

Read more here: Hands on With the Samsung Galaxy Note | Hardware Canucks

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old February 7, 2012, 10:22 PM
Rookie

IMO not that impressive. The last thing I need in my life is bigger devices I have to carry around with me...
Old February 7, 2012, 10:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The idea is to only carry that around. And here is the thing, the go to phone right now is the nexus and it has 4.65" screen so it is large as well.

Actual size comparison between this and the nexus:
Note 146.85 x 82.95 x 9.65mm
Nexus 135.5 x 67.94 x 8.94mm

So yes it is bigger but not really by that much. Do I think it will be for everyone, no, but for anyone that still uses a pencil and notepad all day long this could be the perfect phone/notebook/tablet.

Old February 8, 2012, 05:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well there goes an ENTIRE pocket just for the damn phone. Sorry but a phone should be fairly small, compact and easy to well put/keep in my pants. If I have to struggle to to get this thing past my keys or not be able to have anything else in the pocket, definitely a turn off for me. Also there is no way someone is going to have a case for this to hook onto their belt, it's going to be massive and blatantly obvious you have a phone (probably increasing the likelihood of getting mugged)
Old February 8, 2012, 06:13 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Like I said to Sam: if this thing had been offered without the cell phone hardware, as a purely WiFi enabled tablet for under $450, I would have been all over it.

I need something more low key than my current iPad 2 / Galaxy Tab with a responsive stylus for note taking. This would be it but there's no way in hell I'm paying over $600 (without contract) for cell phone hardware I won't use.
Old February 8, 2012, 08:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I think it is a good idea and will fill a niche in the market, however like SKYMTL said it will not sell as well because it is a cell phone. If they made 2 versions of it like some tablets having radio and some not I think they would be in good shape.
Old February 8, 2012, 01:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Too big to be just a phone and too small to be just a tablet.

Now I am not saying this is what everyone will want, but I can say there is no way I would get one if it did not have a phone. If that was the case I would just get a larger tablet. The idea is to reduce the number of gadgets you are carrying. If this can replace your tablet and your phone and your pad of paper then great. I just see a person having this, a notebook and a desktop, where the other way you see people with a phone and a tablet and a notebook and a desktop. Frankly in my mind one less device is always good.

That said I am not getting one but I still think they are a great idea, but certainly not for everyone.

Old February 8, 2012, 02:20 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Well there goes an ENTIRE pocket just for the damn phone.
Actually, it fits quite well into a pant pocket.

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old February 8, 2012, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think it's awesome. That's about as big as I'd want it. It'd fit in my pocket no problem.

It's a little big yes but it's still pocket size, I'm not a 4 foot 10 girl
Old February 8, 2012, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

I think the form factor is great, but using year and a half old hardware to power such a device is silly. I was so disappointed when they announced the NA version.