Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2012, 09:50 AM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default More Details About Next-Gen Xbox Emerge

A number of details about Microsoft’s next generation Xbox, currently dubbed the ‘Xbox 720′, emerged late last night and early this morning.

Read more here: More Details About Next-Gen Xbox Emerge | Hardware Canucks

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old January 26, 2012, 09:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

OMG fall 2013 they are gonna be almost 3 gens behind by the time it comes out lol Oh man not even going to think about buying an Xbox 720. Where do you think a 6670 is going to fall on performance charts in 2013? It's not even going to be on the radar, it's a $60 card now in a year and a half it will be a $30 card... i don't even see why it is going to take so long to go into mass production, drop an i3 2100 in there and you can probably make a profit at $300.
Old January 26, 2012, 10:18 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I don't see why they can't just work on a xbox OS and sell small form factor PCs with xbox OS.

Or even better, all the baddies can get over consoles and buy an actual PC.
Old January 26, 2012, 10:41 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
I don't see why they can't just work on a xbox OS and sell small form factor PCs with xbox OS.

Or even better, all the baddies can get over consoles and buy an actual PC.
One simple reason: money. Right now they can sell the idea of a walled garden to game makers. PLUS its very, very cheap for makers to buy and use the tools (so long on the market) to produce games for this ancient, low grade hardware (DX9!!!). IF they went the PC with custom OS route...it would open themselves to a world of problems as they would not longer "own the hardware". Game makers LIKE the fact that its "hard" (rofl) to pirate console games. It also allows them to keep prices HIGH. Whereas if it was a pc with custom OS...they would basically be competing against steam.

IMHO its all about cycles and the console cycle's peak is about over....it will come around again...but PC power is getting so high that the dif is now laughable between a game on it and a 360/ps3/etc. AND the low end (aka "I just want to play and not worry about updates") is being taken over by java based and mobile app games. Consoles are stuck in the middle and are once again being squeezed out. PCs will rule the roost until the power gets so insane that even a cheap integrated "smart phone" one can handle anything and then it will be the 'age of portables' with consoles taking up the slack and pcs stuck in the middle...until the cycle starts all over again...again. :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 26, 2012, 10:52 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Microsoft will develop a system to prevent used games from being played. No exact details on how this will work quite yet.
Umm this is gonna be a killer for a lot of people I think. Pretty much all the games I buy are used games. Gezz wtf is MS thinking.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 27, 2012, 12:36 AM
MVP

I miss the way things were in the past.
Old January 27, 2012, 12:58 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
I miss the way things were in the past.
Yea the days when you had to blow out your cartridges to get them to work sometimes.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 27, 2012, 04:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm still holding out for the rumour that Win 8 will be able to run 360 and retrospectively 720 games on it, presumably if you have a high end gaming system (emulation required)
Old January 27, 2012, 05:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well they better get on it. Ever since the youngest moved out and took his xbox + games with him, the wife keeps mentioning how she really misses playing guitar hero....hint hint.
Old January 27, 2012, 05:12 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger View Post
Yea the days when you had to blow out your cartridges to get them to work sometimes.
QFT

Vic20, NES, SNES, Playstation... those were the days, then I tried this game called Starcraft.