Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2012, 04:11 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default XFX Kills Double Lifetime Warranty for New AMD Cards

With the introduction of AMD"s HD 7000-series, XFX has silently moved away from their Double Lifetime Warranty and has instead moved to a more basic coverage model.

XFX has been known as a company that pushes the boundaries of both performance and customer support. Their graphics cards were among the first to receive lifetime warranties and what was called "modder friendly" coverage which allowed users to upgrade the included heatsink without voiding the warranty term. Things took a step to the next level when XFX introduced their "Double Lifetime" warranty which essentially covered the original purchaser along with the first person who bought the card second hand. At first this practice sounded too good to be true but it seems to have paid dividends since the Double Lifetime Warranty turned into a major selling point for XFX's cards. Times have changed though.

Read more here: XFX Kills Double Lifetime Warranty for New AMD Cards | Hardware Canucks

By all means, spread the word to other forums / sites as well since I know for a fact that quite a few people are still buying these cards under the assumption that coverage is Lifetime and more.
Old January 24, 2012, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sucks, XFX still offers lifetime warranty, but the fact it was transferable once really added something to it.
Old January 24, 2012, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Double damn.
Old January 24, 2012, 04:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I always loved XFX because they have good warranty support here in Aus. While reading the article could you please re-check the third paragraph there are some typing mistakes.
Old January 24, 2012, 04:38 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
Sucks, XFX still offers lifetime warranty, but the fact it was transferable once really added something to it.
Lifetime on SOME products. Certainly not all.
Old January 24, 2012, 04:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
And they have taken the model of EVGA for 'upgrading the warranty'.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 24, 2012, 04:52 PM

My System Specs

This is definitely disappointing. That was the only reason I bought XFX cards.
Old January 24, 2012, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Disappointing, but not surprising. I am sure that warranty puts them out a lot of money, and their cards are generally no more expensive than others on the market. There goes a selling point for used cards of a transferable warranty. Not sure what they will do with this next generation of cards though...they generally distinguished themselves from other companies by their warranty and ran pretty basic (or reference) heatsink designs (for the most part). Now they will have to find another way to make their mark or they will just blend into the crowd.
Old January 24, 2012, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Many people where getting XFX for their warranty, what will happen now?

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old January 24, 2012, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wasn't aware of the other changes to their warranty, but I wonder what they will do with other brands offering a bonus such as Twin Frozr, Direct CU or Windforce... I know that they make a 2 fan model, but I have not read anything about it having better performance in terms of noise and cooling. (then again I havent looked for it either)