Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2012, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
People love that validation of knowing if their texts have been ignored or not lol.
Which is funny, because the person obviously is going to read any text message sent to them. Not sure why people feel so satisfied in knowing that it was read.
Old January 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Found stats from September, here is what market share looks like in Canada. Graphed by me, data from comScore.

Old January 23, 2012, 01:39 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Not surprised iOS is flat, I think that market is almost saturated until they have a cheaper low end phone with low price plans (yeah, not likely.)

Android is kind of the budget iOS, I know that people that love it really love it, but I think a lot of android sales are made by price point and the idea of getting all the fancy stuff of iOS for less money is obviously appealing.

Dunno, it would take a lot for me to part with my iphone. I like tweaking my computers but I just don't have the interest in doing it with my phone. I just want the core functionality to work well and intuitively.
Old January 23, 2012, 01:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
Which is funny, because the person obviously is going to read any text message sent to them. Not sure why people feel so satisfied in knowing that it was read.
From a business standpoint, sometimes we require to know whether someone has read a message. Our foreman work around Hilti guns all day, so quite often don't hear a call or feel the vibration. This way we know if a message has got through or has been ignored.

The Whatsapp app for iPhone and Blackberry (and Android?) works the same way, and I can see the very near future where our business ditches our Blackberries. I think their hardware is crap because they've made so many models rather than refining one or two. We've had issues at one time or another with almost EVERY single one we have (17 currently).
Old January 23, 2012, 07:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
Not surprised iOS is flat, I think that market is almost saturated until they have a cheaper low end phone with low price plans (yeah, not likely.)

Android is kind of the budget iOS, I know that people that love it really love it, but I think a lot of android sales are made by price point and the idea of getting all the fancy stuff of iOS for less money is obviously appealing.

Dunno, it would take a lot for me to part with my iphone. I like tweaking my computers but I just don't have the interest in doing it with my phone. I just want the core functionality to work well and intuitively.
Honest imho galaxy nexus kicks the crap out iphone 4s the screen is just way too good and the ui is just as good if not better with widgets and it loads things so fast. Honestly i think when tegra 3 comes out iphones are going to have a problem.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Honest imho galaxy nexus kicks the crap out iphone 4s the screen is just way too good and the ui is just as good if not better with widgets and it loads things so fast. Honestly i think when tegra 3 comes out iphones are going to have a problem.
I never understood the UI android vs iOS argument. I mean it's pretty similar, tiles on the home screen, home button brings you to your home screen. They both work like this. Oh and the iOS notification system taken right from android!

However, android has a back button, a menu button, and you can put whatever you want on the home screen(s), be it widgets, or apps you want there. iPhone? Everything's always on the screen, you gotta hide it in folders if you don't want it there.

Therefore, I find android far more user friendly.

A back button, seriously! I don't understand how iOS is easier to use without a back button

99% of my friends think the iPhone is better, yet they've never even used any late android phones. Funny how that works. Oh yeah, the commercials said so.

I've got a rooted/custom rom/kernel/overclocked galaxy S that i'd choose 10/10 times before the iphone 4s... it just does more, and it's very fast. And it's not tiny. And I can drop it on the ground without it shattering front and back! And my battery lasts more than 6 hours.

Sorry for ruining the thread
Old January 24, 2012, 01:21 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Because most iPhone users (minus the tech-centric ones) just want one that works. Granted, everything is very seamless when it comes to the apple experience.

What i like about the Android (and to an extent WM7 and BB's) experience - is i have many phones to choose from. Whether i want one with a keyboard, a 3.7", 4.0", 4.3", 4.5", 5", LTE, 4G, etc. Do i want one with pure Google Experience? Or a Sense overlay? how about a Motoblur? or a Touchwiz?

How about a single core? Dual core? Crazy graphics? qHD resolutions? 800x480? 1280x720? 720p, 1080p recording? There's choice.

Can i say that about iOS? NO.

A big hell NO. And their argument about a 3.5" screen is the right size for a smartphone. Pffttt... says who? You??

That's subjective. I love having a big screen. I love having a crazy resolution so i can check, watch, surf, text all of the same time on my big screen phone w/o squinting to see what im looking at.

My point is - i have a choice.

Sorry im derailing...

I like RIM. They were selling great smartphones way back when and an awesome competitor to WM 6, Palm OS and even to an extent Android 1.5/1.6.

I dont want them to go away to stay competitive. More competition, the better for consumers.

Gaming Rig:

-Swiffy MCP35x X2 & 240 Rad, (2) 480 EX XSPC Rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.7 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

HTPC Rig:

-AMD 1100T, Gigabyte UD5, 16 GB G.Skill RAM, Asus 650ti Boost, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Antec 650 watt PS, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old January 24, 2012, 07:42 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Keep in mind that iphone 4s was launched in October so there is likely a bump in iOS market share at that point. I would guess that by now it has levelled out though with the new android devices on the market and nothing from apple.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:51 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

We had 6 Crapberries here, all our department heads. I spent more time dealing with issues with those things than I did administering 12 servers and 168 desktops. As a techie I am totally appalled at the technology behind these things. Had to learn more than I ever wanted to know about their crappy software. These are my frikkin bosses here wondering why I can't get this phone to simply deliver a goddam email to them. Finally got fed up, told Telus to shove them far up their corporate rears. Got Galaxy S Androids. Took 2 seconds to connect them to our domain via active sync. I can enforce password and encryption policies, remote wipe them, all from the Exchange mailbox GUI. In fact all the security features RIM claims is their forte are available and 10 times easier to install/use/maintain. Never have had one single issue with them. Before it was several calls daily because the DangleBerry® wouldn't send/receive. Wouldn't sync contacts/tasks or plain old deleted contacts and appointments.

We sent one into RIM, the thumbpad quit working after a month. The support forums were rife with users that had the same problem. The ribbon cable that connects the thumbpad to the mainboard. I tried all the fixes to no avail so we sent the phone to RIM. They sent the phone back saying it was water damage and not covered. I went over the phone with a microscope (an actual microscope) and not a hint of water anywhere, everything was mint. The user said the phone had never ever been near liquid.

The users (age 50 something) love love love their new phones. Swype is the best input system period. No more stupid assed tiny keyboard and 2" screen.

My hated of RIM is so great that I hope to one day see them all standing in a soup line or begging for change on the street. My experience with them was nothing short of disastrous. I have a vein pulsing in my temple as I type this. To me there is absolutely no surprise and a million reasons why they are failing.

Die RIM Die.
Old January 24, 2012, 03:36 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I just got off the Phone with Telus, had to discuss my bill. He asked me how I liked my Galaxy and this whole diatribe came up. He confided in me that the vast majority of support calls they get are from Blackberry users.