Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2012, 04:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default MPAA Directly & Publicly Threatens Politicians Who Aren't Corrupt Enough To Stay Boug

MPAA Directly & Publicly Threatens Politicians Who Aren't Corrupt Enough To Stay Bought | Techdirt

"Reinforcing the fact that Chris Dodd really does not get what's happening, and showing just how disgustingly corrupt the MPAA relationship is with politicians, Chris Dodd went on Fox News to explicitly threaten politicians who accept MPAA campaign donations that they'd better pass Hollywood's favorite legislation... or else:"
Old January 21, 2012, 04:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm all for bringing back public lynchings....

Edit: But seriously, the amount of power in lobbyists and external sources in Amurica is absolutely ASTOUNDING. I understand that shit like this occurs in capitalist societies, but to the extent it has gone to there is at the point of absurdity. Serious overhauls need to take place.
Old January 21, 2012, 05:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Personally I think having lobbyists on staff for any government official should be illegal, the government represents the interests of the general population, not the population with the most amount of money.
Old January 21, 2012, 05:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm assuming this was the same moron who complained that websites who went "black" were somehow abusing their power?

AFAIC, lobbying by anything other than a private individual with any kinds of contributions in the mix at all, should legally be considered the exact same as an out-and-out bribe, and also have one of those minimum sentences I keep hearing about applied (the conservatives are fond of minimum sentences, and I could agree with them, but I'd much rather see them applied to blue collar crime than to the folks selling loose joints or dime bags..... ;) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 22, 2012, 10:24 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Well, it's not corruption because that's legal and the way they do business in the USA. It's disgusting, but obviously if you donate money to a politician you aren't going to continue donating if they don't protect your interests. It's just gone to the point of absurdity in the USA because winning a major political position is all about fundraising and campaigning, you can't win without tons of money, and the way the laws are the main source of big money is corporations.