Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2012, 05:02 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default Security Researcher Warns of Hyperlink based DDoS attack

A security consultant with Sophos systems is warning that users may be inadvertently participating in the DDoS assault against various .gov websites by clicking on a link being circulated by the hacker collective.

Read more here: Security Researcher Warns of Hyperlink based DDoS attack | Hardware Canucks

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old January 20, 2012, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I need to find some of those links and click 'em.
Old January 20, 2012, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I need to find some of those links and click 'em.
Once you find them, PM me. I need to join in too.
Old January 23, 2012, 03:30 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I think its hypocritical of these guys to trick people into joining their 'fight.' They think they have the moral high ground, but they certainly lose it by tactics like this.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 23, 2012, 05:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

OO.. I was doing some background research. Even though I have not clicked on their links directly I went into the New Zealand Parliament (which they hacked early last year) and there was news about them. I did click the YouTube video but had not clicked anything else. If I was "Infected" what is the best course of action? will re-installing Firefox work and clear everything back to default? (Assuming I am using Mac OS X)
Old January 23, 2012, 05:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hasn't this threat existed for years but no one has ever bothered to exploit it? Or am I thinking of some other trivial exploit out there?
Old January 23, 2012, 06:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Hasn't this threat existed for years but no one has ever bothered to exploit it? Or am I thinking of some other trivial exploit out there?
It's been known of since Anonymous/Lulzsec started becoming popular I'd say. If I recall, it initially targeted Mac OSX since it's an easier target, then it moved to Windows. As such, I believe back then it was an actual program/malware that had to be installed unknowingly, now it seems they've upgraded to a pure JavaScript version.

I don't believe it does any harm to your computer though, it's effectively just pinging a server non-stop. Maybe a minor reduction in network performance, but it shouldn't be too large.

It just goes to show that the government doesn't listen to it's citizens and I believe that's the point they're attempting to make. Perhaps it's not the most legal way of going about things, but last I checked it wasn't illegal to visit a website.
Old January 23, 2012, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the Internet is so old that there is no true security .