Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2012, 10:49 AM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default Would Ottawa Allow a RIM Takeover?

The collapse of RIM’s stock price during the last year has made it the subject of takeover talks from a variety of market players — though some such as Samsung deny the charges — during the past few months. While rumours hold that the company’s CEOs are aggressivley pursuing potential suitors, and rejecting some, for a takeover deal there is another angle that needs to be considered: would Ottawa allow such a deal to go through?
Read more here: Would Ottawa Allow a RIM Takeover? | Hardware Canucks

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old January 19, 2012, 11:17 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yes they will. Majority govt now, whereas before it was a minority situation and votes were at stake.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

We're talking politicians here, If there is enough money in it for them, they'll allow almost anything.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think they will because unlike most the other blocks, this is for technology rather then natural resources.
Old January 20, 2012, 05:25 AM
Top Prospect

What I don't understand when it comes to these debates, isn't these companies private entities? is not like they are a crown corp or anything..

let's say I build up a butcher shop to be a multinational corp.. and i want to sell it to retire.. what gives the government the right to supercede my right to sell what I own?

so in the same token.. why would the government feel they have a right to block the sell of RIM (or previously Nortel) ..

if they want to "keep it canadian" they can go and buy the company... (they = government)

-joe
Old January 20, 2012, 05:32 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

They are private entities but in this case the entity has a massive amount of highly sensitive information. Everything from government emails to military communiqués runs through their servers so the government can and should step in if the purchaser doesn't meet a certain set of criteria.
Old January 20, 2012, 07:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
They are private entities but in this case the entity has a massive amount of highly sensitive information. Everything from government emails to military communiqués runs through their servers so the government can and should step in if the purchaser doesn't meet a certain set of criteria.

easy fix! delete all the governments shit off your servers. "WOOPS! my bad deleted all ur crap, guess you got nothing to worry about if I sell my own company that you have no rights to"
Old January 20, 2012, 07:53 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtktam View Post
let's say I build up a butcher shop to be a multinational corp.. and i want to sell it to retire.. what gives the government the right to supercede my right to sell what I own?

-joe
'What is the Investment Canada Act, Alex?'

/I'll take Canadian economic legislation for $400 please
Old January 20, 2012, 08:42 AM
Top Prospect

and they wonder why no companies want to be HQ in Canada .. discourage people to get too big so they can't sell :)

-joe
Old January 20, 2012, 09:37 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtktam View Post
and they wonder why no companies want to be HQ in Canada .. discourage people to get too big so they can't sell :)

-joe
Actually I think that has far more to do with historically higher corporate tax rates- which is about fixed. Much higher R&D credits, which is why you see so many of those branches here.

And foreign companies buying into the Canadian market aren't moving HQs in, they tend to move jobs out. You can argue that that is their right, but its less clear if those companies grew with lucrative incentives. Similarly, restricting foreign ownership of resources is hardly unique to here. How many of the countries investing the in oil sands allow anything similar in their own countries?