Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2012, 04:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default IBM deviates from Moore's Law, 1 bit requires only 12 atoms

Quote:
IBM announced Thursday that after five years of work, its researchers have been able to reduce from about one million to 12 the number of atoms required to create a bit of data.

The breakthrough may someday allow data storage hardware manufacturers to produce products with capacities that are orders of magnitude greater than today's hard disk and flash drives.

"Looking at this conservatively ... instead of 1TB on a device you'd have 100TB to 150TB..."
IBM smashes Moore's Law, cuts bit size to 12 atoms
Old January 13, 2012, 05:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

one million to 12...that is quite the feat. I wonder if it will translate into real world use given cost and speed someday, or if it will just go by the wayside like so many technologies.
Old January 13, 2012, 05:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That definitely is the million or billion dollar question. It would be great to see from the lab to commercial viability. I remember when they say holographic storage was the way of the future, that it could hold a lot more then standard hard drives (it still can), however the technology costs to what you got for storage space wasn't worth it (and too difficult to boot manufacture to).
Old January 13, 2012, 08:01 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Commercial viability is most likely 5-10 years out...if it even reaches that point at all. I'm looking forward to seeing articles when they use this to make some memory in the KB or MB range. THEN i'll get excited.
Old January 13, 2012, 09:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Lol scanning eleectron microscopes are similar to what we use in the lab to look at the exact crystal structure of rocks... This technology is a very very long way off considering 1 microscope will cost you over a million dollars (not to mention they are currently huge). It is fairly interesting though to see what we can do with modern technology and endless supplies of money.

Edit: even if they work out a way to make the platters economical they need to get the microscope down in size by about 1500% lol
Old January 17, 2012, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Lol scanning eleectron microscopes are similar to what we use in the lab to look at the exact crystal structure of rocks... This technology is a very very long way off considering 1 microscope will cost you over a million dollars (not to mention they are currently huge). It is fairly interesting though to see what we can do with modern technology and endless supplies of money.

Edit: even if they work out a way to make the platters economical they need to get the microscope down in size by about 1500% lol
Why would they need a microscope? yes this is how they managed such a huge reduction in the size. But if this was to come to market in any form they would evolve it into some kind of variation of current techs (or something else new but not based one haw they did it for the research).

CBA reading all of it tbh.. it's such a long way off that there is no way to know if it will ever come to market in any form at all.

Last edited by Dzzope; January 17, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old January 17, 2012, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

They need a microscope because at that size you are literally storing data by using subatomic particles and anything other than a electron scanning micrpscope cant pick that up.