Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2012, 08:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default RIM Playbook OS 2.0

Quote:
Shaun Coghlan, BlackBerry PlayBook senior product manager, said there will be thousands of Android apps available when PlayBook OS 2.0 ships.
RIM PlayBook 2.0: Here Come The Apps - Hardware - Handhelds/PDAs - Informationweek

This is definitely going to make me even happier that I bought a playbook when this OS 2.0 comes out. Being able to get android apps and some of the other improvements they've made (like being able to check your mail) will finally make this tablet not suck as much as it did.
Old January 12, 2012, 08:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I have to wonder, if they actually held out on releasing the Playbook until 2.0 was ready (or at least major parts of it), if things would've turned out differently.
Old January 12, 2012, 01:12 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Will be interesting.

I was under the impression that the new Os was supposed to RUN Android apps...but if I read these reports correctly, its just easy for developers to port their Android apps to the new OS...is this correct??
Fold for team #54196
Old January 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I listened to the video, they run the apps in sort of a virtual mode inside the OS. Apparently running the android app the first time takes some time then after then it loads as quickly as it would natively in android (supposedly)
Old January 12, 2012, 02:24 PM
MVP
F@H

Hopefully my playbook will find a better purpose after this OS update. Right now it's nothing more than a video player for my son.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches