Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2012, 12:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman95 View Post
heres a video i found on youtube about SOAPA. gotta admit its kind of a mind f**k REAL SOPA In America ! 100% Proof! Shocking Sopa Truth America - YouTube
pretty interesting
I'm really actually considering posting this on my site...I have a ton piracy related people visiting the site so maybe it will make a change...Never know...
Old January 16, 2012, 05:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like the Obama Administration opposes the bill too:

Obama Administration Responds to We the People Petitions on SOPA and Online Piracy | The White House
Old January 16, 2012, 06:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
It is an election year. Do not believe a word that traitor says.
Old January 16, 2012, 10:57 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
damn straight, thats what 90% of the southern US thinks ( and why we want any GOP candidate to beat him)
Old January 16, 2012, 11:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Doesn't matter much anymore. House leader Eric Cantor is planning on just shelving the bill unless everyone can come to an agreement about it:

Sopa plans set to be shelved as Obama comes out against piracy legislation | Technology | guardian.co.uk
Old January 16, 2012, 11:52 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Awesome news! Love Obama or hate him at least he was good for something!!

Just have to keep up the pressure on any new Bills like this that are bound to come up.

edit: Wikipedia does not buy it, and the english Wikipedia still plans on shutting down on Wednesday:
Wikipedia’s anti-SOPA blackout will go ahead on Wednedsay | FT Tech Hub | FTtechhub - Industry analysis
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; January 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old January 16, 2012, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
The Obama administration has the foresight (not really a compliment, anyone should have such a foresight) to see that an attack on the internet is an attack on the last bastion of true freedom of expression the working and middle classes posses. Also, tech giants have large losses hanging in the balance. Therefore, any such attack would start a maelstrom that he wouldn't be able to deal with during an election year. Add that to the fact that Obama has proven to be a disaster and is as disingenuous as they come, and I'm left with absolutely no consolation with such a move. He just codified into law the ability for a President to indefinitely militarily detain American citizens on the mere accusation of being an "associate force" to "terrorism." And I'm supposed to believe he cares about people's rights on the internet? Not a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman95 View Post
damn straight, thats what 90% of the southern US thinks ( and why we want any GOP candidate to beat him)
Obama is bad, but any GOP candidate? Many have proven to be just as bad. For example, would you want the fear-drive, theologian nutcase Santorum who would readily bomb Iran on a whim as a President? The problems America faces are bigger than "my team" being able to fix the country, as has been illustrated deftly over the past decade. In fact, the "my team" mentality is precisely one of the premier problems.
Old January 16, 2012, 11:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
The Obama administration has the foresight (not really a compliment, anyone should have such a foresight) to see that an attack on the internet is an attack on the last bastion of true freedom of expression the working and middle classes posses. Also, tech giants have large losses hanging in the balance. Therefore, any such attack would start a maelstrom that he wouldn't be able to deal with during an election year. Add that to the fact that Obama has proven to be a disaster and is as disingenuous as they come, and I'm left with absolutely no consolation with such a move. He just codified into law the ability for a President to indefinitely militarily detain American citizens on the mere accusation of being an "associate force" to "terrorism." And I'm supposed to believe he cares about people's rights on the internet? Not a chance.

Obama is bad, but any GOP candidate? Many have proven to be just as bad. For example, would you want the fear-drive, theologian nutcase Santorum who would readily bomb Iran on a whim as a President? The problems America faces are bigger than "my team" being able to fix the country, as has been illustrated deftly over the past decade. In fact, the "my team" mentality is precisely one of the premier problems.
Just like when obama's administration was against the military defense authorization act until after they added back the section where US citizens could be indefinitely held without going to trial, and then they started to support it again.

Old January 16, 2012, 11:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Wikipedia is joining the blackout.
Old January 17, 2012, 04:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
Wikipedia is joining the blackout.
They announced that a few days ago, but it looks like now Google will be helping out a bit tomorrow too by placing a link outlining Google's opposition to SOPA and PIPA (which I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet, but it is the Senate version of the SOPA bill). Maximum PC | Google Joins Tomorrow's SOPA Protest, Tells Admins How To Black Out The Right Way