Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2012, 08:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default 5th Generation WiFi: 80211.ac draft released!

I ment to post this up, but forgot last night.

The new draft standard has been released for the next gen wifi: AnandTech - 5th Generation WiFi: 802.11ac, "Gigabit" WiFi Primer

I'm not too worried about the data rate (although it will mean clean streaming of BD over wifi likely, without any worrying about compression or dropped frames, which is nice) of 433Mbps/1.5Gbps (Potential max at 3.6Gbps), the main takeaways I saw were an upped modulation to 256QAM, and beamforming being mandatory on draft/certified devices. About time!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Sagath; January 6, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old January 6, 2012, 09:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I noticed the exclusive use of 5GHz, which would be problematic the way the router is set up in my house. One computer can connect to the router at 2.4 GHz but not at 5 GHz (I assume either blocked by duct work or the asphalt in the garage which is between the two devices.)
I hope powerline networking (or maybe even phone line) gets a similar boost because there's less that can go wrong when going through wires, although most of the effort is focused on Wireless because that's what's trending these days. With my neighbours jamming Wifi for computers in the upper floor of my house I decided to be an even worse neighbour and have two access points operating on two separate non-overlapping channels
Old January 6, 2012, 10:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Frontier, unless its a dual band wireless N card, it will never connect to 5GHz.

These additions will make wireless signals hopefully stronger and give them a bit further distance with the shorter wavelength being mandatory (5Ghz has a shorter wavelength then 2.4GHz). Another thing that will make this a lot nicer is the lack of devices operating at the 5GHz range. Cordless phones, microwaves, and a lot of RC controllers all use the 2.4GHz bandwidth range due in part that it is free (most bandwidths must be purchased and thus are free of crosstalk/noise), with the switch to 5GHz, a lot less devices operate here, which should give a cleaner signal.

I would like to see powerline network speeds increase as well, though with that you are also limited to the state/quality of the wiring job in your house. An old century+ home is going to have different quality wires then say a 20 year old one, then even a new get it made quickly with cheap materials house. You also have to take into consideration that however fast it operates, it has to stay away from multiples of 60Hz as to not interrupt/distort your AC power.