Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2008, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Interesting report on what consumers value most in notebooks. Definitely read it all but here's what caught my attention.

Quote:
What Are You Looking For?
When it comes to the issues that matter most to consumers when shopping for a new laptop, 46 percent of respondents said that "performance" was the most important feature when chosing a portable laptop ... followed by "price" at 17 percent and "battery life" at 15 percent.
The real point of this report though was that truly portable units (15" or less) are by far the most sought after laptops.

Quote:
The most popular laptop (among all categories and sizes) on Pricegrabber.com between 1/1/08 and 2/21/08 was the Asus Eee PC 4G Surf.
So performance, price and mobility all beat out battery life for importance to consumers.

Ultraportable Laptops Are More Popular Than Ever

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 12, 2008, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Most people who walk into Future shop to buy a $1000 laptop end up walking out with one that they liked the looks of- more and more often a compact portable one- they often haven't got a clue about how well it performs..... but these portable small laptops that they're buying are generally built on efficient platforms because to be put into these small packages they need to produce less heat and eat less power- so portability and efficiency go hand in hand. You can poll people to death, but what they actually walk out of the store with is the reality of the market.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; March 12, 2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: sp.
Old March 12, 2008, 05:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Most people who walk into Future shop to buy a $1000 laptop ending walking out with one that they liked the looks of- more and more often a compact portable one- they often haven't got a clue about how well it performs..... but these portable small laptops that they're are generally built on efficient platforms because to be put into these small packages they need to produce less heat and eat less power- so portability and efficiency go hand in hand. You can poll people to death, but what they actually walk out of the store with is the reality of the market.
I cannot agree more. The average user most often has no clue how well a laptop they are looking into purchasing will perform compared to others. So the average user might look at something that looks sleek rather than all of its specs that they can not understand. Although battery life seems to be the least important thing on peoples lists, smaller laptops generally sport more efficient processors that require less cooling and lower power requirements. So even though battery life looks like it is not very important, it can still co-exist with what people really want: style/size.
-Patriot 2x1gb @ 1000mhz cas5
-Evga 8800GTS 320mb
-Antec Neo HE 500 modular PSU
-Coolermaster hyper6 hs/f
-x-fi xtreme music
-Acer 22" wide LCD 5ms
Old March 12, 2008, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Most people who walk into Future shop to buy a $1000 laptop ending walking out with one that they liked the looks of- more and more often a compact portable one- they often haven't got a clue about how well it performs..... but these portable small laptops that they're are generally built on efficient platforms because to be put into these small packages they need to produce less heat and eat less power- so portability and efficiency go hand in hand. You can poll people to death, but what they actually walk out of the store with is the reality of the market.
I know what you are saying and I agree. This pole is a consumer behavior report from pricegrabber.com So in essence it is polling consumers with better than average knowledge of computers. I don't think Joe Blow who buys a Lappy at FS is the same consumer as someone searching pricegrabber.

In fact I was just in BB on the weekend, lurking in the laptop section to see what kind of junk -err I mean products they have and I am over hearing a conversation between a BB sales guy and a lady standing in front of the Mac Books, it went something like this.

"So I can internet on this one?"
"Yes"
"Good because that's what I want to do."
"Would you like it in Black or White?"

It's not like the $500 models over here won't "internet" but hey... if she wants to spend $1500+ so she can surf, then by all means

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 13, 2008, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hey check this out. Speaking of 780g... A nice little demo of Puma and 780G kicking ass all over Intels G35 w/a Penryn CPU

O.O

HEXUS.tv - Turn on technology - *World Exclusive* unreleased AMD Puma-based MSI notebook -v- Intel Penryn G35 - AMD Puma 3x quicker than Intel integrated?

Honestly I have not listened to a single word the guys in the video are saying. I was just looking at the FPS results in the video. AMD 49 FPS avg. || Intel 15 FPS avg. However Intel will be releasing it's Centrino 2 platform later this year which may once again have the upper hand?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old March 13, 2008, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's pretty awesome- it's all about the chipset though, not the processor. I'd buy one though