Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2007, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Can the ATi Lasso rope in better laptop graphics performance?

This might have been better in the rumour section at this point, but here's a blurb from Hexus about ATI's endeavors to produce external graphics solutions for laptops which may narrow the performance gap with desktops, and if graphics cards continue to get bigger and more power hungry- who knows- maybe we'll even see this kind of things sitting on top of our desktops along with their own power supply .

"Portable computers can compete quite well against desktops in terms of performance, even at the high end, if you like your laptop heavy, but one area where they slip behind is graphics. Not any more, if ATI's Lasso can deliver what we think it can.
Fitting one, let alone two high end graphics cards into a laptop, and then powering them is, well... a bit of a bugger. What would be really cool is if the GPUs could be housed externally, interfacing with the laptop rather than residing within it. "But wait Steve, we've already seen such a solution" you shout, yes? Indeed the ASUS XG station strives to do that for lappies with ExpressCard slots. ATI's working on a little something of its own, however.
They're calling it Lasso and it'll go a bit further than having an external graphics card for a laptop. Lasso will be able to house multiple graphics boards providing what could frankly prove to be hilarious processing capabilities... and those of you keeping up with the GPGPU scene will know that it's not about games performance. Modern GPUs can do some serious general purpose wet-work, leaving the CPU cores to work on other things.
Details right now are scarce, but imagine having a pair of R600s plugged into your laptop, or indeed augmenting a small form factor PC, or a workstation..."

Old March 4, 2007, 10:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

Its still ATI and ATI is junk.

Someone explain to me why ATI requires .NET 2.0 FW to be installed?
Old March 4, 2007, 02:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That's only for CCC.

Most ATI folks install the bare drivers (or third party hacks) and then use ati tray tools for control.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP