Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2011, 05:48 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hopefully, we can see people start doing some comparison benches! I don't expect a huge improvement, maybe 10% though in core utilization.
Old December 16, 2011, 05:59 AM
Banned

From what I have seen/read briefly before I went to bed earlier this morning in 1 app & a handfull of games the new update has given between 1 - 10+% preformance increases in them. Still better then no improvements, i am shure we will see things clearer once more of the mainstream sites to revised testing updates on them.
Old December 16, 2011, 09:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Anandtech and VR-Zone are reporting that the hotfix has been pulled as some people were reporting a decrease in performance.

AnandTech - Microsoft Releases Hotfix to Improve Bulldozer Performance UPDATE: Pulled
Old December 16, 2011, 10:04 AM
Allstar

Yet another AMD fail, what a surprise.

I doubt they will ever return to their FX glory days of the past. It's quite shameful that the piece of junk called "Bulldozer" even dawned the FX name.

Honestly, AMD should just drop this whole CPU charade they have going. It is only embarrassing there company. The only real market they have is in servers and even then. Stick to GPU's and maybe make some god damn drivers that actually work for your GPU's while your at it!

If AMD drops off, Nvidia is going to have to start making CPU's pretty soon, or intel will have even more of a monopoly.

/End AMD rant

Last edited by BobbyLou; December 16, 2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old December 16, 2011, 10:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLou View Post
Yet another AMD fail, what a surprise.
Quote:
This article introduces an update that optimizes the performance of AMD Bulldozer CPUs that are used by Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computers. Currently, the performance of AMD Bulldozer CPUs is slower than expected. This behavior occurs because the threading logic in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2 is not optimized to use the Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT) scheduling feature. This feature was introduced in the Bulldozer family of AMD CPUs.
So how is the patch another AMD failure?
To me it looks like AMD as something that Microsoft just isn't taking advantage of properly.
So your comment should have been "Yet another MS fail, what a surprise", unless you were commenting at Bulldozer as a whole.
Old December 16, 2011, 10:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze_125 View Post
So how is the patch another AMD failure?
To me it looks like AMD as something that Microsoft just isn't taking advantage of properly.
So your comment should have been "Yet another MS fail, what a surprise", unless you were commenting at Bulldozer as a whole.
It's probably more appropriate not to say "Another AMD Fail" but "Let's add this to the list of why Bulldozer was a bad idea".
Old December 16, 2011, 11:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
It's probably more appropriate not to say "Another AMD Fail" but "Let's add this to the list of why Bulldozer was a bad idea".
Quite possible.
But is it the chip maker that has to adapt to the software developer, or is it the software developer that has to adapt to the available technology?
Who's really to blame for this fiasco, as a whole?
Software developers, or the chip maker?
If the chip yield crazy high numbers in labs, why does it fail so badly in the wild?
I don't know much about the chip at all, I'm just thinking out loud based on some information I read throughout many months before and after the release.

Regardless, this patch isn't an AMD fail, it's a MS fail since it's MS that tried to make its software better but failed at it. Not the other way around(again, when it comes to this specific thread' subject).
Old December 16, 2011, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

intel fanbouys wouldn't know how to make a bulldozer only flap lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS fix
Before the update, Windows didn't know how to ideally schedule threads on Bulldozer. Essentially, it didn't know when it was good to place threads on single module versus multiple modules.
with intel interst behind lines the MS fix is bogus on linux no a problem
Old December 16, 2011, 12:56 PM
Allstar

Didn't someone manually mess around with the threading in Win 7 to prove that it's not optimized for BD? So I guess MS just released the fix without extensive testing / found some bugs.
Old December 16, 2011, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze_125 View Post
Quite possible.
But is it the chip maker that has to adapt to the software developer, or is it the software developer that has to adapt to the available technology?
Who's really to blame for this fiasco, as a whole?

For my part, I say soft dev are to blame. If Intel and AMD where to wait for the software to change we wouldn't even have dual core...
Chio maker make new CPU that are ebtter so the dev can use this power.
Unfortunatly, software are moving quite slowly, only look at 64bit implementation which is almost to the dead point. Yes software work on 64bit but they are not typed in 64bit. Same for the multithreading. Dual core exist for 6 years maybe more and 95% of the software have a close to 0 capabilities to handle multithreading.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||