Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2011, 01:10 PM
Banned

Default Intel: AMD is Still a "Serious Competitor"

As per a recent new post here @ toms hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Int...ano,14181.html

Intel: AMD is Still a "Serious Competitor" ... on Price

"AMD is and will always be a serious competitor of ours. I do think that based on where we started this discussion, particularly on the manufacturing side and the lead that we have with architecture and manufacturing that it has been alot [sic] harder to them to compete effectively against us. So therefor [sic] most of it is price driven, so I would say if there's an area - we have to always continue to make sure we will remain competitive in the low end of notebooks right now, which is largely fueled by their Llano and Brazos products that actually go into that segment. So it's a pricing game but I think that from a performance and experience point of view it is not much for them right now to really pleased about I think. But they will always stay competitive."- Pat Bliemer, the Managing Director of Intel Northern Europe"

Main interview thats been quoted is here:
Intel's Pat Bliemer - Integrated graphics can compete [Exclusive]
Old December 7, 2011, 03:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Of course they're a serious competitor. It would be silly of Intel to not think of them as one, on the off chance that AMD pulls a magic cocaine rabbit out of their ass.
Old December 7, 2011, 03:19 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
Of course they're a serious competitor. It would be silly of Intel to not think of them as one, on the off chance that AMD pulls a magic cocaine rabbit out of their ass.
i agree totally, just because AMD doesn't have something that works for us gamers and high end users doesn't mean they cant do any thing AMD is starting to throw some serious blows to the low/mid range segment of desktops and notebooks. and plus alot of companies are buying bulldozer based servers for instance the company that i do IT stuff at during the summer is replacing their servers with interlagos because it fits them better. but yes i do wish AMD would pull that damn rabbit out of the hat soon.
Old December 7, 2011, 04:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

First, AMD have a large part of the low cost CPU. But I'm pretty sure Intel want AMD to be part of the race otherwise they will have some problem with anti-trust law and monopoly ( not the game ) thing.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 7, 2011, 06:21 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
First, AMD have a large part of the low cost CPU. But I'm pretty sure Intel want AMD to be part of the race otherwise they will have some problem with anti-trust law and monopoly ( not the game ) thing.
Exactly. They learned a good lesson from Microsoft.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 7, 2011, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Exactly. They learned a good lesson from Microsoft.

But unlike microsoft, I doubt Intel will financially help AMD if they need it only to avoid those kind of problem. Anyway, I may be wrong :)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 7, 2011, 07:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

All I want, is 2 good (or god let someone else step up) companies to compete with each other so we can have fair prices and good products.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 7, 2011, 08:37 PM
Banned

Well lets for a second take that BD info that got boo booed into thinking here .... Say the 2 Billion die count was in actualy a reflections of the total space on the die. They have now said that the 8 lets call them "Bi-Cored" BD's consumes only 1.2 billion of that die. theoreticaly speaking they could then make a 12 "Bi-Cored" BD cpu for higher range to be competitive vs Intel.

With the OS & more programs becoming core/thread geared towards preformance bd's design will eventualy start to show its winning vs intels offering. Maybe not by large amounts, but enough to keep everything on a even keel.
Old December 7, 2011, 08:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry, it doesn't work that way going from theoretical speculations to practical. There are limitations due to any design, which in this case is die size, manufacturing techniques, chip layout and number of transistors. Unless you've actually done this kind of work or research, its ultimately speculations that are typically wrong (no offense).
Old December 7, 2011, 08:54 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The 2 billion number came from the SERVER chip...a much larger chip (1944 pin'ed G34 socket IIRC). There is no "total space on the die" as wasting that much space...would be a waste of resources. By the time AMD has a 12 core chip for the consumers out...Intel will have a 8 core....which in all likelihood will still kick BDs ass. BD is a failure there is no ifs, no butts and maybes about it. It is a failure because AMD cut corners on the design side of things and they are now paying for it. HOPEFULLY the replacement for BD will be hand designed...but after certain trial ballon comments made by AMD....I doubt it. They are giving up on the enthusiast CPU market.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr