Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2011, 09:36 AM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default Will Google Kill Firefox?

Hardware Canucks reported last week about the changing hierarchy of browsers. Firefox, which was once the dominant alternative to Internet Explorer, has seen its market share eroded by the emergence of Google’s Chrome. Now, ZDNet is reporting that the Mozilla Foundation’s search partnership contract with Google — the Foundation’s biggest source of revenue — has expired.

Read more here: Will Google Kill Firefox? | Hardware Canucks

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old December 5, 2011, 10:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Reynolds View Post
Hardware Canucks reported last week about the changing hierarchy of browsers. Firefox, which was once the dominant alternative to Internet Explorer, has seen its market share eroded by the emergence of Google’s Chrome. Now, ZDNet is reporting that the Mozilla Foundation’s search partnership contract with Google — the Foundation’s biggest source of revenue — has expired.

Read more here: Will Google Kill Firefox? | Hardware Canucks
Firefox will kill Firefox with their new update scheme and all the change Mozilla been through in last months or so.
Old December 5, 2011, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Firefox will definatly have harder time but Pretty sure google wont kill it. For some people Chrome isn't an alternative to Firefox. For my part I kinda hate chrome layout and such. On another side, Chrose is a solid web browser and Firefox have some work to do now they are not the only popular alternative to IE.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 5, 2011, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I switched over to Chrome from Firefox in early summer. I had heard somewhere that Chrome was faster. And oh boy, is it ever. Page load times are vastly reduced, and the program itself is a lot smaller than Firefox. Whenever I open up Firefox (for whatever reason now) it just feel clunky and awkward.

There is a reason Chrome is stealing marketshare.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old December 5, 2011, 12:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Firefox will still be up there because it has allot more plugins and scripts Google community ,safety features compared to Google chrome. the one thing I really hate about Google is that it track " Every thing " that you use with the browser just like the Google search engine and I really don't like that they do this without my permission. I prefer Opera over Googles chrome

Last edited by Shadowmeph; December 5, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old December 5, 2011, 12:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
Firefox will kill Firefox with their new update scheme and all the change Mozilla been through in last months or so.
^^^^^

This a thousand times over.

Chrome hasn't really done much to bring users over, Mozilla has done a lot to scare their users away.

If Mozilla would get off their "WE'RE NON PROFIT STOP THE CORPORATIONS BUSINESS IS EVIL" mantra and just focus on making a god damn browser, maybe things would improve.

And I base this off trying to visit the red panda fox page in Chrome, I got no less than 3 "pop-up" style images trying to tell me that.
Old December 5, 2011, 12:26 PM
Allstar

I won't sue Chrome in Windows because of Google's tracking. However I have compiled Chromium for use on Linux (which lacks the phone home features). If anything kills Firefox it will be the headlong dash Mozilla is making to nowhere with their new release schedules.
Old December 5, 2011, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'll stick with firefox until chrome gives me something I really want and don't have.
Old December 5, 2011, 03:35 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
^^^^^
If Mozilla would get off their "WE'RE NON PROFIT STOP THE CORPORATIONS BUSINESS IS EVIL" mantra and just focus on making a god damn browser, maybe things would improve.

And I base this off trying to visit the red panda fox page in Chrome, I got no less than 3 "pop-up" style images trying to tell me that.
Are you sure you're not projecting meaning onto their words? Personally, I'm in favour of a more or less corporation-neutral browser; especially after the mess IE caused and became. I'm not comfortable with Microsoft, Apple and Google collectively dominating the browser market and the web platform(s). In any case, what does the ideological views of the Mozilla Foundation -- which it has always had -- have to do with the quality of their software?

The web is evolving rapidly, in a large part because of Google's aggressive Chrome development that has changed expectations, and therefore Firefox must also be developed more rapidly.

My personal recent experience with Firefox has been very good. The memory management in version 8 is amazing compared to prior versions.
Old December 5, 2011, 03:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
So true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
I switched over to Chrome from Firefox in early summer. I had heard somewhere that Chrome was faster. And oh boy, is it ever. Page load times are vastly reduced, and the program itself is a lot smaller than Firefox. Whenever I open up Firefox (for whatever reason now) it just feel clunky and awkward.

There is a reason Chrome is stealing marketshare.
Wanna know what's the secret of Chome opening pages faster? Scaled down graphics. When I always zoom in most sites on my hi resolution monitor, on Chrome it looks super blurry and just awful, while on Firefox it does retain it's quality in most cases. Maybe for the casual user it isn't a real issue, but for people who can see and appreciate quality it does worth the extra second or two when loading a page.