Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2011, 04:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default [Mercury News] AMD struggling to reinvent itself...

Did some browsing around tonight, and came upon this article from last week.

While its been said before, there is a tiny bit more information here, in regards to how AMD is in the process of changing their business strategy.

Quote:
"We're at an inflection point," said company spokesman Mike Silverman. "We will all need to let go of the old 'AMD versus Intel' mind-set, because it won't be about that anymore."
What do you think this could mean for their CPU divisions?
As a fellow computer enthusiast, I'm a tad worried what this could mean for the industry if AMD is not around to give Intel some competition.
Especially with the big issues they've been having lately.

Hopefully all the recent changes, and restructuring are signalling a turning point that can allow the company to grow, and come back stronger than before.
Also hoping the likes of ARM are able to enter the market and give Intel a run for its money.

Enjoy the read.
Cheers.

Source

Edit: Mods please feel free to move this, if I posted in the wrong section. Thank you!

***UPDATED***
AMD released a statement in reply to the recent article, so as to quell all the "we give up" flags people have been waving around various web tech forums.
They have also mentioned they will reveal their "new strategy" in February 2012.

Quote:
"AMD is a leader in x86 microprocessor design, and we remain committed to the x86 market. Our strategy is to accelerate our growth by taking advantage of our design capabilities to deliver a breadth of products that best align with broader industry shifts toward low power, emerging markets and the cloud."
Source

Last edited by Grampa; November 30, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old November 29, 2011, 04:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

O That is very bad, being a supporter for AMD they better not throw the towel yet.
Old November 29, 2011, 06:13 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

i wouldnt mind if AMD is just going back to rebuild their CPU division from the ground up after fail dozzer and will only be selling fail for a few years until they get a new one right but if their going to drop out of the highend desktop and possibly other areas then were f_cked........hard
Old November 29, 2011, 06:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

What they need to do is stop focusing on trying to reinvent the wheel, and just make the best damn wheel ever. Yes there are going to be architecture changes every now and again, but forcing one when one wasn't really needed was the big issue. Trying to say "Well our processor is more forward thinking" doesn't help when I want to think about the now, not the future. Because by the time the future gets here, there's going to be something newer and better than your "forward thinking" design.

See > Dreamcast.
Old November 29, 2011, 07:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

How about better drivers and better driver support for developers? That's one thing that AMD has really been dropping the ball lately as well it would seem. AMD at times may have the better product (talking gpus here) but their drivers a lot of the times are rather crap, either due to their programs or the poor support they give to a lot of developers.
Old November 29, 2011, 03:39 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
How about better drivers and better driver support for developers? That's one thing that AMD has really been dropping the ball lately as well it would seem. AMD at times may have the better product (talking gpus here) but their drivers a lot of the times are rather crap, either due to their programs or the poor support they give to a lot of developers.
i have no idea what your talking about. ive never had a driver issue with my card.
Old November 29, 2011, 03:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

How about things like offering chipset trim support within a year of folks starting to question it? Those are the kinds of things (especially the sound of crickets when listening for a reply from them on the subject) that drive potential consumers away.

Hyping BD for years and releasing the fail proc we finally saw rather than admitting that the BD stream of R&D wasn't doing the trick, and then... threatening to drop PH II production (a-la s939 vrs AM2) in order to remove the PHII option certainly didn't help much either.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 29, 2011, 04:20 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
How about things like offering chipset trim support within a year of folks starting to question it? Those are the kinds of things (especially the sound of crickets when listening for a reply from them on the subject) that drive potential consumers away.

Hyping BD for years and releasing the fail proc we finally saw rather than admitting that the BD stream of R&D wasn't doing the trick, and then... threatening to drop PH II production (a-la s939 vrs AM2) in order to remove the PHII option certainly didn't help much either.
if they offered a new version of the phenom2's in 32nm with the new memcontroller and a few other tweaks ( which would have been cheaper by the way) i and many others would have bought multiple ones with out a doubt. but instead they discontinue the best thing theyve had in years just to try and force us to buy fail dozer.

we should petition AMD to do the above and im not joking and hell they might even do it since there in such a pickle right now
Old November 29, 2011, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

They probably don't want to admit they wasted those years of research. But yes a die shrunk thuban (x6) would be great and with the shrink it would probably allow room for 8 real cores (vice the BD kind of core, but not really, but we'll count them as cores anyway nonsense).
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old December 2, 2011, 07:04 PM
Banned

Default AMD: We Are at Inflection Point

As per xbitlabs, techspot & a few other sites:

"" We are at an inflection point. We will all need to let go of the old 'AMD versus Intel' mind-set, because it won't be about that anymore," said Michael Silverman, a corporate spokesperson for AMD in an interview with San Jose Mercury News. "

Read the rest & others here:

AMD to shift competitive focus away from Intel, still committed to x86 - TechSpot News

AMD: We Are at Inflection Point - X-bit labs