Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2011, 06:14 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Hello!, McFly!

Intel's been handing their ass to them for the past 5 years, it's about time for them to crank out something A64 worthy again. They'd probably be toast if if wasn't for the Ati purchase.
Old December 2, 2011, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I really hope they can turn things around, but if they can't I hope they don't drag the former ATI down with them...an Intel monopoly on CPU and NVidia monopoly on graphics would not lead to a consumer friendly marketplace. For now it seems AMD graphics (ATI) are doing decent enough. I can't say it enough...I just wish they would admit that BD is not right at the present time and scrap it (unless they know its going to become a lot more than it is with tweaking), die shrink thuban to hold them over, and press on with their aging stars design while figuring out what to do (not keep feeding BD space heaters to the market place and destroying their reputation).
Old December 2, 2011, 06:46 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

This is indeed a sad day. If what he is saying is true...there will NEVER be another AMD enthusiast king CPU. They are giving up on even trying to compete against Intel. Looks like Intel has all but killed off the last of their competitors in the x86 marketplace. :(

If Im reading it right, they are going to try and compete in an already crowded marketplace (ie in the ARM, SoC world). Too bad in that marketplace, performance per watt is KING and unless they go back to designing the transistors from the ground up they will never be able to compete. Hell Nvidia will kick their arse with their gpu/arm combos (as they have atleast 2 gen lead time on them right now). Looks like AMD as we all know it is toast. Of course this could all be FUD and what he meant and what we heard are two different things all together....or they will reinvent themselves like Texas Instruments and other x86 makers did when Intel (nearly) killed them off. Still would NOT want to own AMD stock right now.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 2, 2011, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This might be a poor comparison, but put very simply, to me it feels like AMD = BlackBerry. Both are releasing lackluster products and are way behind the times. There is only a couple things saving each company.
Old December 2, 2011, 07:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sad day for sure. If AMD leave the place it will let intel do anything with price. But I am pretty conviced intel wont slow down R&D only because they don't have to. Hope they will come back from the dust !

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 2, 2011, 07:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My first video card purchase was an ATI and damn I was proud it was made by a Canadian company. Sad to see how this has all turned out.
Old December 2, 2011, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
This is indeed a sad day. If what he is saying is true...there will NEVER be another AMD enthusiast king CPU. They are giving up on even trying to compete against Intel. Looks like Intel has all but killed off the last of their competitors in the x86 marketplace. :(

If Im reading it right, they are going to try and compete in an already crowded marketplace (ie in the ARM, SoC world). Too bad in that marketplace, performance per watt is KING and unless they go back to designing the transistors from the ground up they will never be able to compete. Hell Nvidia will kick their arse with their gpu/arm combos (as they have atleast 2 gen lead time on them right now). Looks like AMD as we all know it is toast. Of course this could all be FUD and what he meant and what we heard are two different things all together....or they will reinvent themselves like Texas Instruments and other x86 makers did when Intel (nearly) killed them off. Still would NOT want to own AMD stock right now.
Well I think your right in the most part, no amd's probly not going to be designing any "enthusiest" chips anymore. BUT I do think BD's with a revision left how they are would offer good value to comsumers still ... Plus with a more parralell'ed operations in Windows & upcoming software the initial "bad" preformance I think WILL change.

IF they can keep with the gpu side of things, keep bd's goin & do the other thing ... they can keep bein around & preventing the monopy's from occuring.
Old December 2, 2011, 08:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Well I think your right in the most part, no amd's probly not going to be designing any "enthusiest" chips anymore. BUT I do think BD's with a revision left how they are would offer good value to comsumers still ... Plus with a more parralell'ed operations in Windows & upcoming software the initial "bad" preformance I think WILL change.

IF they can keep with the gpu side of things, keep bd's goin & do the other thing ... they can keep bein around & preventing the monopy's from occuring.
To do this, they REALLY really REALLY need to put more effort into their drivers and give game developers more support. Personally I've found nVidia to have on average the better driver support and well seem to be giving more game developers support then AMD. To me this effects my decision in who I bought a graphics card from because I'd rather then card that performs 2nd but has phenominal drivers, then one that performs the best but has spotty drivers.
Old December 2, 2011, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
To do this, they REALLY really REALLY need to put more effort into their drivers and give game developers more support. Personally I've found nVidia to have on average the better driver support and well seem to be giving more game developers support then AMD. To me this effects my decision in who I bought a graphics card from because I'd rather then card that performs 2nd but has phenominal drivers, then one that performs the best but has spotty drivers.
Exactly. ATI and Nvidia has similar performing GPUs at similar price points (usually ATI has the price edge), but nvidia drivers are consistently more reliable, faster updating, and support more new games. It's easy to choose when you want a card that's just gonna work.

I'd say that's the reason that nvidia has the edge on high end consumer graphics. They just have better drivers hands down.

As for AMD CPU's... it's no surprise. They've been behind since 2006, and when intel released the i7, they were like what, 3 years behind?...
Old December 2, 2011, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really hope that if AMD can't make it in the CPU market they separate their video card section as it is doing just fine. It'd be a shame to see a CPU monopoly, but even worse to see a CPU and GPU monopoly.