Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2011, 06:44 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Honestly, with more than 10 manufacturing plants and 49 secondary supply lines inundated with water, I don't even see how production would come back to normal after only a year. We're talking about hundreds of millions worth of equipment, thousands of workers' homes and countless miles of road infrastructure / power distribution than has been wiped off the face of the planet. Something like this will take years to be completely resolved.
Old November 22, 2011, 06:44 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I agree 100% b1|k1. This is mainly retail greed that has driven prices up so high. Its not like Seagate has raised their MSRP by 300%...so SOMEONE is making a killing off this disaster. :(

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 22, 2011, 11:32 AM
Banned

How about this other reality as well ... SSD's are becoming cheaper & higher in capasity. Physical hard discs are no longer viewed as preformance drives & more like storage/backup media like a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray rom. So partialy what has been said is correct, BUT think about that as well .... IF you have no SSD products in your offerings how will you be able to keep up with surviving as a company if you can't produce a competative product.
Old November 22, 2011, 11:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I have to agree with you SKY, this isn't going to be a short recovery by any stretch of the imagination.
Coupled with the fact that commerical consumers and system builder consumers will have pick of the supply chain before us there is a long waiting line till it will trickle down on our levels.

Ironically, this is exactally what we deal with in terms of the petroleum industry....

Its like 1980 all over again.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 22, 2011, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Honestly, any current storage company with no SSD's in the works deserves to fail. This is another bailout being forced upon the consumer. It is not our fault that their plants are under water, why are we footing the bill? I guarantee they have insurance and it isn't costing them anything but potential profit to rebuild yet we are not only going to fund their lost profits, we're gonna give them EXTRA money in the price gouging.

Glad I have lots of drives now, not gonna give in this time. Rot in peace price gougers.
Old November 22, 2011, 05:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I would bet my mother's heart medication the reason the retail channel has such a shortage is that Dell, COmpaq, etc. all called in for the available stock and the manufacturers were all too happy to keep them fully supplied while not giving a single $hit about the end user consumer.
Those guys have long-term supply contracts for certainty, the retail chains tend to prefer flexibility for cost savings. Thus when something happens, the guy who bet on certainty wins.

Or to put it another way, Dell et al's orders were already in. Retailers buy on much shorter notice.
Old November 22, 2011, 11:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Really bad time for me to need a couple hard drives...
Old November 23, 2011, 03:27 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecanadianguy View Post
Really bad time for me to need a couple hard drives...
I've needed drives since August. I have been too stubborn to buy em the past month, which might just cost me more.
Fold for team #54196