Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2011, 07:27 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default CEO Rory Read Restructures AMD

Troubled processor manufacturer AMD announced late Thursday that it was engaging in a massive restructuring plan, validating rumors published hours before on TechEye.

Read more here:CEO Rory Read Restructures AMD | Hardware Canucks

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old November 4, 2011, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Next week AMD news : AMD to sell everything they can to last one more week.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 4, 2011, 07:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
“Reducing our cost structure and focusing our global workforce on key growth opportunities will strengthen AMD’s competitiveness and allow us to aggressively pursue a balanced set of strategic activities designed to accelerate future growth,”
whaaaaaa????? Am I having a 90's corporate bafflegab flashback? Does any of that actually mean anything?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 4, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Pretty clear for bureaucraticanese / double speak...think he needs to go take lessons in double talk as that was pretty easy to decipher.

"we need to cut our bills, cut our workforce and make the ones left focus their attention on things that will actually make us money so that we will actually make a profit next year or otherwise we are all gonna be looking for new jobs".

In other words...sounds like ANYONE who is even remotely associated with bulldozer or any other area that is not making profits had better get their resume up to date and start looking BEFORE the axeman comes their way.

Unlike Intel, AMD wasn't big enough to weather a storm the size of their very own P4. BD cost them too much in RnD and its a flop...so they are gonna cut, cut cut and hope to not cut TOO much muscle along with the "fat" in order to stay alive.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 4, 2011, 09:40 PM
MVP

But a TON of what they cut was out of the video card division...by all accounts, a very profitable part of the business. And they made $100 million last quarter (which, admittedly, was the quarter before faildozer). Dunno if the new CEO is just a beancounter/slash and burn guy or what, but they took out a lot of key product dev people, as well as a huge chunk of marketing.
Gigabyte GTX780
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 5, 2011, 02:24 AM
Rookie

Looks like they are cleaning house, a shame for some of these people since many are to credit for AMD's few successes of late but in the end this could prove to fruitful. $118 million money can can be better spent on something that generates higher returns.

Marketing cuts because AMD really doesn't have very good marketing for a while know, so no need to waste money and laying off some people and hiring some new ones at a later date could be a smart move. They have nothing to market currently, bulldozer is a overall flop, graphic cards are doing fine on their own without to much marketing. Further more since the cards are doing well I think AMD as realized that its time to cut the fat there before it gets laid on as thick as other divisions, cut what isn't working or needed and keep the rest is how you free up time and money to advance. Seems to me they are trimming the fat in order to refocus and pull the idea that is bulldozer out of the mud for round two. On paper the design of bulldozer is solid, so if they can get it right next time they stand the chance of actually making up ground.

Hopefully this will result in some life out of AMD and not just a last ditch before it all crashes a burns.
Old November 5, 2011, 03:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hmm.. I read about this the other day.

Truly a shame.
I wish all the people at AMD the best, and hopefully most of them find new homes at Nvidia, etc.
Old November 5, 2011, 08:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

AMD is doing well on the APU side (something to fall back on) according to some analyst. But I don't really like piledriver idea "the so called revised revision of BD" as it already failed. Better make a comeback fast.
Old November 5, 2011, 08:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well if Bulldozer wasn't a complete failure, and if they actually bothered to write quality driver software that rivals nVidia they wouldn't be in this situation. I'm leaving AMD (potentially forever) as their driver are absolute garbage for the 6xxx series, having tried them on two separate cards, an seeing one (the 6870) not even have an official release driver until a few weeks after the card was already on the shelves is pathetic.
Old November 5, 2011, 09:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe the marketing dept should have made a facebook page, or set up a twitter stream. Then we could have "liked" them and everything would be okay now.

/seething, dripping, hate for twitbook "marketing" style sarcasm