Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2011, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As far as I am concerned AMD will always be a "budget" build and Intel will own the upper end. I would love to give them (AMD) some of my hard earned money, but it seems like it is always going to Intelo & Nvidia.
Old November 5, 2011, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What AMD needs to do right now is to move Thubans on 32nm process, skip Bulldozer and Piledriver altogether and bring Excavator to the table.
Old November 5, 2011, 12:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
What AMD needs to do right now is to move Thubans on 32nm process, skip Bulldozer and Piledriver altogether and bring Excavator to the table.
As much as I agree, the problem is in the 32nm process used to manufacture AMD's line of "new" chips. Even if they drop BD and did a die shrink of Thuban then there still would be a conflict since some of the tooling used to make Thuban is also used on BD. And since AMD's low power Bobcat/Trinity is popular then Thuban would be competing with them (as far as I understand it). So basically, TSMC and GloFo need to improve their yields for AMD to be able to sell the new products they offer, and stay profitable with increasing profit margins rather then the staganting ones, since in some cases they are not able to fulfill the demand due to poor yields.
Old November 5, 2011, 07:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

We must also take into account that Intel is already moving to a 22nm manufacturing. By the time AMD made their 32nm manufacturing, It will be too late.
Old November 5, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

At the end of the day AMD needs to come out with something quick, since it can take years to release new chips for the meantime they are pretty screwed. AMD's only hope is unlocking some performance from their current architectures otherwise by the time they are ready with something that is good they will have no money.

I hear a lot about windows 8 being AMD's saving grace but at the end of the day even if it brings it up to an i7 2600k or i5 2500k the power consumption is still way out of line. I don't see anyway AMD can pull out of this within the next 2 years anyways, and the longer it takes the less likely a comeback becomes (unless they do well enough in the mobile market to pay for RND and all the money they lost on bulldozer).