Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2011, 12:21 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default Microsoft to Tie Browser-to-OS in a Post Antitrust World

In the late 1990s, the United States Department of Justice alleged that Microsoft’s victory in the decade long ‘Browser Wars’ was due to the fact that Microsoft had bundled a copy of Internet Explorer within its Windows operating system. These allegations lead to the case United States v. Microsoft where the U.S. Justice Department and 20 state attorneys general filed an antitrust suit against Microsoft, charging the company with abusing its market clout in order to crush competition.

Read more here: Microsoft to Tie Browser-to-OS in a Post Antitrust World | Hardware Canucks

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old October 28, 2011, 01:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thing is too is that with the early builds of 7 removing IE wasnt a option, I see the same thing here. In the beta or developer preview, it isnt a option again.
So where is the big change? ppl reported back then that IE would be tied to the OS and it was removable, though if completely removed it did cause a few issues for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 28, 2011, 10:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I do not understand. Are they saying that you will not be able to uninstall IE from win 8? Can someone please clarify?
Old October 28, 2011, 11:16 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

Masteroderus: As far as I can tell you cannot uninstall IE from Windows 8. This is based on the latest developers release that has been made public. You can, however, turn IE "off" but this is merely hiding it.

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old October 29, 2011, 08:27 AM
MVP

My System Specs

As long as IE won't be used for Windows Updates and tied into the updated mechanics like it is in Win XP, then turning it off is fine by me. It is still probably more, then one can do in Apple's current OS - do correct me if I am wrong.
Old October 29, 2011, 03:32 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

If disabling IE actually disables the metro GUI (as said in some article I can't remember), I actually may become interested in Windows 8. Otherwise, Windows 7 is just fine as of now, it's probably what will actually replace WinXP in the enterprise market for the next 7-10 years unless some major release comes on the market.