Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2011, 04:04 PM
MVP

I don't want to get into debating the issues of copyright and DRM, but I will say this: I believe there are more important things for Parliament to be dealing with.

Now is not the time to:
- create a new class of criminal in Canada
- add the costs of bureaucracy and enforcement
- further reduce the rights of Canadians without a clear benefit to the average Canadian

This is also an issue of sovereignty. Leaked diplomatic cables and other information show that our government is appeasing the US government and media monopolists.

There are many Canadian and global crises we should get on top of before bending over so Jack Valenti can get another piece of Canadian ass. No sir, I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.
Old October 1, 2011, 07:09 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

I see this as a non issue. The United States has had similar laws in place for nearly a decade through the DMCA. They have cracked down on major league pirates, and while the occasional average person has got caught in the crossfire not much has happened. In fact through the emergence of BitTorrent, and video streaming websites pirating tv shows and movies has gotten almost common place.

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old October 1, 2011, 08:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
IMO, this is the way it SHOULD be done.
I totally agree with you there.
Wow it didn't quote what you quoted lol
Old October 2, 2011, 11:44 AM
MVP
F@H

One problem with the DRM lock, is that it can be applied to anything, including public domain material. It's already been abused. So if someone has the ability to lock it, you're stuck.

Quote:
B&N Claims It Must DRM Public Domain Books To Protect The Copyright On Them
B&N Claims It Must DRM Public Domain Books To Protect The Copyright On Them | Techdirt

Plus factor in the original copyright span (50 years) keeps getting extended (75 years) with a lot of help from the US government; Disney Corp will never let Mickey Mouse turn into public domain material, even though it should have. Yet, a lot of what Disney created was based on public domain material in the first place.
Old October 2, 2011, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As long as my usenet is safe, I'm happy. I really don't think this will make people change their habits much.
Old October 2, 2011, 08:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i buy games from steam....i don't ever need a no-cd/dvd thing
Old October 3, 2011, 06:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wish there was a service like Steam for movies. I'd blow thousands of dollars on something like that.

Netflix and the sort are close, but I want to be able to keep local copies.
Old October 17, 2011, 04:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Canadian Coalition for Electronic Rights Send A Letter To Ottawa To Stop The Canadian DMCA
Check this out if you this it's wrong, just sent an email to my MP.