Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2011, 02:15 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default Report: PC Gaming to Overtake Consoles by 2014

Console gamers have long mocked their PC brethren, saying that we were living in a post PC gaming era. However, a new report by DFC Intelligence, commissioned by Nvidia, says that PC gaming revenue is set to overtake that of consoles by 2014.

Read more here: Report: PC Gaming to Overtake Consoles by 2014 | Hardware Canucks

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old September 27, 2011, 02:17 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

On a similar note, here is a BF3 PC/PS3 splitscreen play-through of the first level.
Battlefield 3 comparation PC vs. Playstation3 Split Screen - YouTube

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old September 27, 2011, 02:49 PM
MVP

Extremely low probability, in my estimation. Consoles are too much of a cash cow, and will continue to evolve as they always have..they might not catch up tech wise, but the user base is undeniably huge and game devs can dumb down their products for the consoles.

That said as an exclusive PC gamer. My kids have all 3 major consoles, but I put in 0% of my time on them...by the same token they put in 0% PC gaming.
Old September 27, 2011, 04:07 PM
MVP

Those numbers are incredibly misleading because they include casual and social games. When it comes to AAA titles, I doubt PC sales are even close to console counterparts. It's not like Zynga players are going to be buying BF3 or discrete GPUs.

There are exceptions, but in general, I don't think the PC market was ever big enough to support a library of contemporary AAA development budgets -- which are what, 20-40+ million USD?