Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2011, 11:46 AM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default AMD’s FX Series Launching Next Month

DonanimHaber is reporting that the first of AMD’s Bulldozer powered FX chips are set to launch next month at lower than expected prices.

Read more here: AMD

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old September 21, 2011, 11:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As with anything BD lately taken with a grain of salt, but if true IMO does not bode well for dozer. If it was everything they say why such a low price point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 21, 2011, 11:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Unless they are lowering prices to make up in some for the delays and other problems they have had with these chips.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 21, 2011, 01:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Lower prices = Lower performance. That's how I see it.
Old September 21, 2011, 01:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

aren't apu's the future anyways?
Old September 21, 2011, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
Lower prices = Lower performance. That's how I see it.

unfortunately that's how I feel as well. That said, an 8120 may serve as an upgrade for me...but I will leave judgement of that for when the HWC review of these BD CPU are out.......whenever that that may be.
Old September 21, 2011, 02:37 PM
Allstar

I tend to agree with lower initial cost = less performance. I have been really looking forward to it's release but that enthusiasm is waning pretty quickly with the price drop. I don't mind the release dates being pushed back as much as the drop in price. I think it's a better indicator of what's going on. Mind you, if it at least comes fairly close to SB in performance I think I'll jump on it. Shouldn't have a problem smoking my q6600 and the price point is appealing.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old September 21, 2011, 03:28 PM
Banned

Well, delays, more models, maybe its gonna launch with the 7xxx series cards + reports that piledriver based AM3+ dozers to come out in 12' .. ALL could be the reason why there cheaper & not nessicarly preformance. I mean if we go by some of the leaked ES samples numbers there not crappy cpu's by any means. Furthermore maybe this is what the new lenovo guy whom has taken over has ment by in his speach sayin they need to charge to move this company better. I mean think about it $3xx SB 2600K & if 8150 can equal or come close to it in preformance + oc as good as it, whom isn't goin to grab one @ a $250 price point ?

I mean lets face facts here folks .... 8 cores/threads is going to be a accepted thing. Not to many things are run on single core's. You can keep making the argument that single core preformance is important, but the reality is your os & MANY other pieces of software utilize threading/parallelism. Soon enough 4 cores/threads is gonna be a mainstream MINIMUM for a system to have any kinda preformance/efficiency.
Old September 21, 2011, 04:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The one irritant as combined CPU/GPU chips become more common is the cost factor. When half the chip is devoted to an integrated GPU, it becomes a significant cost factor -- the price charged to the consumer has to reflect the silicon used to produce that GPU capability. Yet for enthusiasts who will not come close to being satisfied with an integrated GPU when there are much more powerful discrete solutions available, that's wasted money.

This of course applies to the desktop market much more than the laptop market, where heat and energy savings are a bigger concern.
Old September 21, 2011, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Well, delays, more models, maybe its gonna launch with the 7xxx series cards + reports that piledriver based AM3+ dozers to come out in 12' .. ALL could be the reason why there cheaper & not nessicarly preformance. I mean if we go by some of the leaked ES samples numbers there not crappy cpu's by any means. Furthermore maybe this is what the new lenovo guy whom has taken over has ment by in his speach sayin they need to charge to move this company better. I mean think about it $3xx SB 2600K & if 8150 can equal or come close to it in preformance + oc as good as it, whom isn't goin to grab one @ a $250 price point ?

I mean lets face facts here folks .... 8 cores/threads is going to be a accepted thing. Not to many things are run on single core's. You can keep making the argument that single core preformance is important, but the reality is your os & MANY other pieces of software utilize threading/parallelism. Soon enough 4 cores/threads is gonna be a mainstream MINIMUM for a system to have any kinda preformance/efficiency.
While I do completely agree with you, I think you have to admit the low price point is pretty scary. Unless AMD is trying to completely blow SB out of the water on pricing I feel like the performance might not be what atleast I am hoping for. If AMD out performed SB and wanted to beat them out in pricing they would've priced their 8 cores at the 270-280 range.

I would love to see AMD beat the i7 2600k (and future 2700k) but the price point being this low is very disconcerting.