Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2011, 09:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcoast604 View Post
Ipaine, I hear ya. As I see it there's a few problems that need to be dealt with, option 1) the ugly truth, bring back death penalty, frees up space at the prison, more cost efficient than option 2. Option 2) Build more prisons to house inmates for longer periods, open up that wallet tax payer.

The system is pathetic at this point and imho there's no fixing it until it gets the same attention as the classic election headlines as "health care and education".

i'm for the death penalty provided the people who sentence a person to die get the same penalty when they falsely accuse
Old September 21, 2011, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblazzwa View Post
i'm for the death penalty provided the people who sentence a person to die get the same penalty when they falsely accuse

I am for the death penalty, but it should only be used once people have be definitively proven guilty. Such as in the case of Clifford Olsen. I only bring him up because of the good news I saw today:

Clifford Olson close to death, says victim's mother - Montreal - CBC News

So bring on tougher penalties for criminals and let us live our lives. I just get tired of blame being put on the victims. Just like the posters up here at work, "Don't feed the thieves" with a picture of a raccoon on it. How about instead of telling people that it is their fault if someone breaks into their car, we punish the people that due it. It should read, "Break in's = 5 years. Use your brain before you commit a crime" or something alone those lines.

Last edited by ipaine; September 21, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old September 21, 2011, 10:03 AM
MVP

I don't believe race should enter into a sentancing, I don't believe the cost of keeping an inmate is proportional but I'm also sick and tired of repeat offenders. Some fixes fall on society and some fixes fall onto a restructuring af sentancing ie; B&E and car theft should carry 3-5yrs automaticlly no ifs ands or buts enter into it. Three strikes and you're out might be a good fix too because what we got ain't working.

One thing for sure once you enter in the human variable you will have self serving ignorance and nothing will ever work perfectly, example government.
Old September 21, 2011, 10:33 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Good news that they took the spying crap out of the bill! Awesome. I prefer a warrant before the police can read my emails and use it in court.

The only thing about this bill I don't like is that some offences that were once minor will now also carry min sentances. I have no problem with giving folks like Olsen a hard time, but putting folks in jail for 3-5 years for having 5 pot plants (this is what was discussed on the CBC last night) seems harsh.

And no, I am not a pot smoker!
Fold for team #54196
Old September 21, 2011, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
And a timely piece in the Vancouver Sun as a lack of court resources leads to a drug dealer's conviction being tossed: B.C. judge blasts province as cocaine dealer set free over court delays

"In July, the government admitted that in the first half of 2011 alone, 65 adult criminal and youth cases had been judicially stayed because of undue delays."

Meanwhile, budgetary guesses at the cost of the omnibus crime bill -- the Conservatives refuse to provide Parliament or the public with costs projections -- figure the federal corrections budget alone will have to double compared to 2005-06, despite the crime rate continuing to drop. This from Corrections Canada. The provinces, which will actually bear the brunt of the additional costs, have no real idea of how high their bill will be. Perhaps some of it will be offset by not having convicted criminals go to jail, because the resources for convicting them are tied up in enlarging corrections facilities?

The policy itself of longer incarcerations is questionable at best (see the U.S. for how well large prison populations reduce crime rates), but to implement such a policy without any financial planning is the very definition of fiscal incompetence. Show me how this will prevent more crimes than, say, programs dedicated to crime prevention, and thereby improve society and the economy -- don't just tell me "it'll work, trust us, and besides, you don't support crime, do you?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Good news that they took the spying crap out of the bill! Awesome. I prefer a warrant before the police can read my emails and use it in court.

The only thing about this bill I don't like is that some offences that were once minor will now also carry min sentances. I have no problem with giving folks like Olsen a hard time, but putting folks in jail for 3-5 years for having 5 pot plants (this is what was discussed on the CBC last night) seems harsh.

And no, I am not a pot smoker!
Hmmm you take those 2 post and what do you get out of them?

They would rather go after simple possession charges than free up the court system ( as was proposed before a fine for small possession) to deal with real criminals.
Stupid IMO.
Dont get me wrong I am not saying pot should be legal (OMG Grover) but that a standard fine system should be implemented to free up the system to deal with the real threats to society, I mean come on the Casual pot smoker isnt going to commit violent acts against ppl they are busy on the couch watching TV and eating chips, the Cocaine dealer on the other hand has and will hurt ppl both physically and mentally, I mean how many girls get involved with prostitution due to "hard" drugs?
And dont give me that Gateway crap, alcohol could be classified as a gateway drug and it is both socially accepted and legal.

Happy to see the No warrant removed though, ppl will alway misuse power. And really if they have sufficient information to be pulling your emails then they should have sufficient info to warrant a warrant right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 21, 2011, 11:52 AM
News Editor

My System Specs

Going back to the topic at hand, Open Media is largely a front for the NDP/organized labour. Many of the group's campaigns quickly drift from the original message to "support this if you do not like the Conservative government". I feel that with their Stop Online Spying campaign many elements of the bill are being overlooked and ignored in order to saber rattle and paint the picture that we will shortly have something akin to the NSA's "warrantless wiretapping".

*Shameless self promotion* I did a blog-post for Vancouver's The Georgia Straight a while back about another one of their campaigns called "stop the meter". Check it: Sam Reynolds: Further government regulation will stymie Internet innovation in Canada | Vancouver, Canada | Straight.com

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old September 21, 2011, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I really don't care if the police want to read my e-mails. I try to live an honest life and if I do something unlawful I probably deserve to pay for it.
Old September 21, 2011, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You got your ass handed to you in the comments, no?
Old September 21, 2011, 01:05 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
I really don't care if the police want to read my e-mails. I try to live an honest life and if I do something unlawful I probably deserve to pay for it.
Well, what happens if someone had hacked into your computer/emails and send whatever hateful messages using your email address?

Then what?
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old September 21, 2011, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Thing is thought it will not stop there, give a inch they will take a mile, IMO again just MO, what is next live feeds from your webcam, you could be doing something and allowing access to personal INFO without due course ( a warrant) could lead to this type of senerio. A bit harsh I agree but IMO having to go through the appropriate channels, rather than writing a black cheque makes more sense. Really if they have evidence or suspect something you are doing unlawful then acquiring a warrant should be fairly easy.
I will ask you this: Would you support them looking at all your snailmail, telephone calls and/or simply walking into your house for a search without a warrant?
You have nothing to hide right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton