Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2011, 08:39 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I think RIM alienated their loyal customers by going too mass market. If they would have concentrated upon cementing their presence in the professional market, they would have been ok.

As it stands, they ended up releasing shit that their core audience found abhorrent. The Torch? A tablet called the PLAYbook? A decidedly unprofessional app selection? I mean come on...
That's a matter of opinions. All executive at my office use a Torch, directors that have one love it, those who don't have one want one.

I did try it for a while and aside some down points, I really like it. It definitely lacks on the hardware side, but I like the day to day use. Plus the fact that the WiFi on BB's is nearly useless... But it's definitely the one BB I prefer.

They're easy to manage and keep under control too..

I did not use the playbook so I won't comment this, but definitely, the name is kinda badly chosen.
Old September 18, 2011, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

No ones mentione their Black Berry Messenger? I say this because if there was no "BBM", they would loose their entire youth and female audience on the BB. All my friends who have a BB simply keep them for BBM - great, your paying for a $60+ plan just to chat with people? Without that, all these young people would switch - and with iChat coming in os5 I can't see many of these young folks keeping there BB.

The generation that I'm in, with these young people are the way of the future, we're the ones that ultimatly need to be impressed.
Old September 18, 2011, 02:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup every kid that buys a BB buys one just for BBM. BBM I think isn't as good as some other chatting programs like IM+ Pro. It really is said though seeing high school kids spending $60 a month just to use BBM + buying a phone. Although I wasted my money too as a kid (and still do).

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old September 19, 2011, 11:51 AM
MVP
F@H

Funny there was a time when people said this tiny mom and pop company called Apple was going to vanish from the face of the earth.

Anyways... the Playbook name is a cultural thing. Americans have this thing about using sports terms in the boardroom. So things like an advertising blitz, making a pitch to a client, or using a playbook to figure out what the company is going to do. It's not because it's a book for playing, and the corporate suit types understand that. However RIM failed to realize that there are a lot less corporate suit types looking to buy a tablet out there than they thought.
Old September 19, 2011, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
No ones mentione their Black Berry Messenger? I say this because if there was no "BBM", they would loose their entire youth and female audience on the BB. All my friends who have a BB simply keep them for BBM - great, your paying for a $60+ plan just to chat with people? Without that, all these young people would switch - and with iChat coming in os5 I can't see many of these young folks keeping there BB.

The generation that I'm in, with these young people are the way of the future, we're the ones that ultimatly need to be impressed.
I don't know about $60, most of my friends pay $30-40 for BBM and Facebook/MSN/Twitter (plus 100MB or so at $40). That's one of the best selling features - it's cheaper than android per month! $30 vs. $50 for a relatively comparable plan is a major selling feature.

RIM has meshed better with the carriers than android has for sure.