Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 16, 2011, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
As it stands, they ended up releasing shit that their core audience found abhorrent. The Torch? A tablet called the PLAYbook? A decidedly unprofessional app selection? I mean come on...
Dont forget 'new' models of phones that really dont change anything at all, and are functionally identical to the last 29 1/2 generations of BB's that were released.

Lets be realistic, the 'minor' upgrades a 98/99xx series BB has aside, they are still almost identical to the 1st generation bold/curves etc.

No one wants a phone they could of used in 1998 in 2011 with things like Androids and iOS on the market.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 16, 2011, 01:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

QXC phones can't come soon enough for them.
Old September 16, 2011, 02:09 PM
Allstar

I won't defend their business decisions, and I agree that they tried being too much all at once (curve phones). QNX Needs to be on their phones soon to have any impact and save their dwindling presence. The playbook though is a solid device, app selection is limited but if developers did program for it would stand up to every other tablet. What I honestly think (full disclosure both my wife and I have blackberries, and almost everyone in my family has BBs except for one with an android) is that the mass media seems to have a hate-on for RIM right now.

There are reports commending RIMs hardware have come out and been ignored by the media. For example hardware failures in the Europe Rim = 3.7%, Iphone = 8%, android = 14% sample size was 600,000. The playbooks hardware at launch was the most impressive in a tablet and is near or still at the top for hardware specs. Hear any of that in the media?

How quickly the media forgets about Iphone tracking in unencrypted files, but stays focused on the stock value of RIM. I think the media has fallen in love with Apple, and will have the occasional love affair with android for no real tangible reason. Each phone has strengths and weaknesses that will draw people to one phone or the other. The media is having a hand in driving down RIMs market share I think unfairly by reporting negative news on RIM and ignoring anything good.

When Canadian news does this constantly while constantly cuddling up iphone talk on CBC etc it rubs me the wrong way. I like to buy Canadian, I think we have lost too much in the way of development and manufacturing in the cheap labor mentality. We have a giant in smart phone manufactures in Canada, that's something to be proud of, even if you don't use their phones. If their time has come then so be it, lets just not rush it because of a news castor told us so.

I honestly don't know what I would switch too if I had to get something else, I don't like being locked into the iWorld, and I have had many android phones shown to me that look impressive but for every 10,000 apps they brag about 9,999 of them ether don't work or do the job so badly I understand why both apple and rim charge for licencing.

I like my clicky keyboard on my bold as well ;-)
Old September 17, 2011, 06:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Sam, you should pick a better title - your stupid is showing. It's like you're trying to live up to the standards of fox news with a title like that.

I have friends who work at RIM, and am not rooting for a companies demise because of not liking the product for personal use.
In fact, I would choose a Blackberry smartphone over android or iphone any day. The number one reason? remote wipe of the device. Someone gets fired.. boom, head shot. Add in the security features and things like blackberry messenger and how it views pictures / uses less data and it's great for business.

The person who said someone updated their phone and messed things up? Is a terrible admin, or has a terrible admin. Don't allow users to update the phones, and pre-test the updates on your own phone before deploying.. duh. Don't say you don't like the product because you're incompetent.

My work phone is a blackberry, my home phone (wifes) is a HTC Desire HD.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old September 17, 2011, 07:03 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

RIM is still profitable, and they have a loyal user base that is willing to spend big money (business and govt). The biggest concern is the growth of Apple, and the Android makers, compared to them. They are under siege for sure, but nowhere near as bad as everybody says they are.

QNX needs to be a success for them though to grow in the home user market. I think that if they can get Android software to work on their phones, while maintaining their strong business infrastructure technology, they could see growth similar to everybody else and be a darling of the media and home market again.

After QNX gets rolling, they should start to take the tablet market more seriously.

I would wait to see how QNX does, and if it starts to look good, I would actually buy shares in RIM quickly. Right now? Would be too much of a gamble for my tastes (but I would have said the same about Apple back in the day too).
Fold for team #54196
Old September 17, 2011, 08:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Funny to see QNX in the news again. QNX should make a pretty rock solid base for any phone and stop the phone from doing random goofy things.

I don't think RIM is going to die. Mind you that doesn't mean a damn thing because I thought the overall *need* for tablets was approximately zero. I completely forgot about Jobs being able to stoke the fires of the consumerist society we live in where people have to have the new shiny toy regardless of actual need..... but anyway...

my $0.02
Old September 17, 2011, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Mind you that doesn't mean a damn thing because I thought the overall *need* for tablets was approximately zero.
They are useless in my opinion, the playbook I was given to try kept me excited for......30 mins. I much prefer the little netbook I am typing on.
Old September 17, 2011, 06:12 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
They are useless in my opinion, the playbook I was given to try kept me excited for......30 mins. I much prefer the little netbook I am typing on.
I was waiting for the Playbook since I use a BB ... our IT guys hate Apple
I tried the Playbook a few times and thought it would be cool but for that kinda money, forget it.

We all have netbooks at my house ... mine has been upgraded with more ram and a ssd

IMHO it's hard to beat a 200$ netbook for what it can do ...
Old September 17, 2011, 07:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

I dunno, my 150 dollar touchpad + 35 dollar keyboard is trouncing my netbook in almost every department. And I mean every.

Yes, the playbook costs far far too much for what it is, dose the playbook need native PIM, yes. Yes we need QNX on phones yesterday. Is RIM failing? No, just let them get their next gen phones out there, QNX is the only real competitor I ever saw to WebOS. iOS hasnt changed much in the past 5 years, android is still very clunky and for having so many thousands of apps still lacks the quality of the app store.
Old September 17, 2011, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sure, it becomes an option at $99 or $149.... but most of these are going for $400 and $500.

No thanks!