Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old September 13, 2011, 06:30 PM
MAC's Avatar
MAC MAC is offline
Associate Review Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,009
Default

All frequency record attempts are done with cores disabled, it's nothing new or devious.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old September 13, 2011, 06:31 PM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,410

My System Specs

Default

2 cores? You gotta be kidding me. I was really excited when I saw this. I was already picturing AMD goodness in my rigs.

Why not shoot for 10GHZ on one core then. :/

I'm with Eldonko on this one. I wanna see some benches, encoding, and folding performance.

Damn I thought that was across all the cores.
__________________
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old September 13, 2011, 08:38 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 209

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
All frequency record attempts are done with cores disabled, it's nothing new or devious.
Exactly! So don't get too bent out of shape about it peeps
Hopefully it will translate into some good real-world 8 core overclocks, we will see.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old September 13, 2011, 09:32 PM
NI3 NI3 is offline
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 246
Default



2 cores 2 threads, world record overclocks are done with the minimum amount of cores.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old September 14, 2011, 12:00 AM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,082

My System Specs

Default

While I know that they disable cores on these record setting runs, I don't agree with it. To me OCing a chip means to overclock the entire chip. I mean show me what you guys can do with a proper OC on all cores.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old September 14, 2011, 05:20 AM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,410

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
While I know that they disable cores on these record setting runs, I don't agree with it. To me OCing a chip means to overclock the entire chip. I mean show me what you guys can do with a proper OC on all cores.
I honestly didn't realize they did this. I figured that HT would be turned off on Intel stuff, but not physical cores.

I agree with iPaine...you overclock all physical cores in my books (AMD fanboys chill...not a criticism of AMD here, just an overclocking practice criticism in general).
__________________
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old September 14, 2011, 05:58 AM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,607

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Raw Mhz and shitty processing power FTL. :/
Yep, they could only accomplish this on 2 of the 8 threads/cores.

IF BD can hit 5GHz thats all fine and dandy, but if it can't do it with all the threads, what's the point of even 6ghz if you're running 2 threads where your competitor can run all 8 threads at 5GHz and beat you on anything that is multiple thread friendly
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old September 14, 2011, 06:06 AM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,410

My System Specs

Default

The main hope/thing to take away here is that compared to other chips (Intel and AMD), even with only two cores BD did extremely well. While I am disappointed that it was not all cores (my assumption), this has to be good news.

But I will not get too excited until BD is released. Even with an OC like we see here, I don't know enough about this architecture to determine:

1. Single-threaded performance (how much work can be done per core..see the PIII vs. P4 difference in performance at similar clock speeds)

2. How picky the chips will be when all cores are stressed. 7GHZ on two cores is fun, but 4GHZ on all cores might bring BD to its knees, especially if the power requirements increase substantially per core.
__________________
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old September 14, 2011, 06:12 AM
da_bradler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Why not shoot for 10GHZ on one core then. :/
because that's not even possible because it's not a true 8 core. two "cores" to a modual which shares everything but the integer something or other. so it's gotta run as 2, 4, or 8. can't turn a core off in a modual because it's all interconnected.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old September 14, 2011, 06:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,386

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Yep, they could only accomplish this on 2 of the 8 threads/cores.

IF BD can hit 5GHz thats all fine and dandy, but if it can't do it with all the threads, what's the point of even 6ghz if you're running 2 threads where your competitor can run all 8 threads at 5GHz and beat you on anything that is multiple thread friendly
It sounded like they were talking about 5ghz on all cores with air.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supercomputer sets protein-folding record LaughingCrow Press Releases & Tech News 0 October 17, 2010 06:52 AM
Asus sets the record straight on name pronunciation FiXT Off Topic 16 October 13, 2010 09:36 PM
new world record gingerbee Off Topic 16 January 3, 2010 08:08 AM
New 3Dmark06 World Record by Shimano SKYMTL Reviews & Articles from the Web 5 July 25, 2007 05:40 AM