Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10, 2011, 03:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
If you look closely at the 34th second, it looks like the video was chopped. Not that it matters...

That laptop must have used a Corsair Force GT SSD or something and forgot the OS but, how the heck does that laptop POST that fast?!
AMI has a custom BIOS that allows you to skip pretty much all the POST checks. MSI uses it on their boards and it's about that fast.

But the boot time is still pretty darn impressive, that's as fast as my system coming out of Gigabyte's hybrid sleep.
Old September 10, 2011, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
But the boot time is still pretty darn impressive, that's as fast as my system coming out of Gigabyte's hybrid sleep.
That is because it is coming out a what is essentially a hybrid sleep. It is hibernated and once I read teh article I found that this is how Windows 8 will "shut down." It will just hibernate in a sense. But it will not hibernate the users session but just the kernels. This way it will only have to deal with the user session on a boot up.

That said I'm pretty sure that video was on the fast end of what they will be able to do.

Old September 11, 2011, 07:14 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
That is because it is coming out a what is essentially a hybrid sleep. It is hibernated and once I read teh article I found that this is how Windows 8 will "shut down." It will just hibernate in a sense. But it will not hibernate the users session but just the kernels. This way it will only have to deal with the user session on a boot up.

That said I'm pretty sure that video was on the fast end of what they will be able to do.
I agree, probably few user will achieve such boot time. And there's also most likely an SSD in their system...