Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2008, 12:34 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Yes healthy competition is much appreciated and needed. But a business model based on prices lower than the competition is not a business model. Not when the competition is kicking your ass in products and already selling at competitive prices. AMD needs some juice. I wish I had a pocketful of crack engineers I could lend them to whip up some amazing architecture(s).
Or a pocketful of money?
Old February 15, 2008, 07:50 PM
Rookie

Gee Eldonko I wish you had posted the price drop a few days ago. I ordered the Q6600 from DC and just got it yesterday...
Old February 15, 2008, 09:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If there were an antitrust problem with such a buyout, as bad for the consumer as it might be, I would suspect that one of the many wall-street based financial news publishers that have been predicting this buyout would have mentioned that it was legally impossible.
Old February 15, 2008, 09:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

There's nothing actually illegal about a non-hostile buy-out creating a monopoly, is there? I always thought that the devil was in the details when it came to that sort of thing. Just look at the Sirius/XM merger that's in the works.

But since AMD would technically lose their X86 license in such an event, it'd turn the whole PC situation into a effective CPU monopoly (Intel) AND GPU monopoly (Nvidia, at least until Larabee), which would have both companies walking on eggshells. And the EU would probably be up in arms for some reason or the other.
Old February 18, 2008, 03:54 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
There's nothing actually illegal about a non-hostile buy-out creating a monopoly, is there? I always thought that the devil was in the details when it came to that sort of thing. Just look at the Sirius/XM merger that's in the works.

But since AMD would technically lose their X86 license in such an event, it'd turn the whole PC situation into a effective CPU monopoly (Intel) AND GPU monopoly (Nvidia, at least until Larabee), which would have both companies walking on eggshells. And the EU would probably be up in arms for some reason or the other.
I don't think it would be illegal. But there would be someone who wouldn't like it. And EU often seems to kick for no particular reason.