Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old February 14, 2008, 12:44 PM
vdf22's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I dont know how much longer AMD can even stay around. Who in their right mind would buy AMD now that Intel is sooo much faster for the same price.
A lot of people would buy it just because it's AMD. And if AMD goes out of business Intel's prices will no longer be that low.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old February 14, 2008, 01:57 PM
belgolas's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Posts: 3,948

My System Specs

Default

Well my friend bought a new comp with an AMD processor and an ATI graphics card. Don't know the cpu but the gpu was a 1600 xt 512mb card. I luagh at him cause he spent nearly just as much as I did on my system ($1100).
__________________

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old February 14, 2008, 02:09 PM
vdf22's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Well my friend bought a new comp with an AMD processor and an ATI graphics card. Don't know the cpu but the gpu was a 1600 xt 512mb card. I luagh at him cause he spent nearly just as much as I did on my system ($1100).
The processor probably isn't a very modern one if the computer has a 1600XT.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old February 14, 2008, 04:54 PM
Thund3rball's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,526

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I dont know how much longer AMD can even stay around. Who in their right mind would buy AMD now that Intel is sooo much faster for the same price.
Ya it's getting a little ridiculous to justify an AMD purchase other than brand loyalty :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdf22 View Post
A lot of people would buy it just because it's AMD. And if AMD goes out of business Intel's prices will no longer be that low.
Yes healthy competition is much appreciated and needed. But a business model based on prices lower than the competition is not a business model. Not when the competition is kicking your ass in products and already selling at competitive prices. AMD needs some juice. I wish I had a pocketful of crack engineers I could lend them to whip up some amazing architecture(s).

Hopefully their GPUs will stay on their current track with good price/performance ratios and really, really hopefully... Spider will blossom into a lean and mean benchmark destroying platform. Wishful thinking?
__________________
"this is not troll. this is real deal!" - hohohee

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)


HEATWARE
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2008, 04:35 AM
Babrbarossa's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 3,673

My System Specs

Default

There are some fairly serious rumors right now on wallstreet that NVidia might buy AMD.

Pretty funny- since the rumor started their (NVidia) stocks have dropped 17 percent-
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2008, 05:18 AM
3.0charlie's Avatar
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 9,656

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
There are some fairly serious rumors right now on wallstreet that NVidia might buy AMD.

Pretty funny- since the rumor started their (NVidia) stocks have dropped 17 percent-
From a monopoly point-of-view, they can't. AMD already owns ATI. The US Anti-thrust Management will never accept such a thing.
__________________
Hydro-Quebec is salivating...
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2008, 05:37 AM
Babrbarossa's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 3,673

My System Specs

Default

Doesn't that only apply to hostile takeovers?
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2008, 05:46 AM
3.0charlie's Avatar
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 9,656

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Doesn't that only apply to hostile takeovers?
I'm no expert on the matter, but i don't think so.
__________________
Hydro-Quebec is salivating...
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2008, 08:05 AM
Eldonko's Avatar
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
From a monopoly point-of-view, they can't. AMD already owns ATI. The US Anti-thrust Management will never accept such a thing.
I agree, I doubt that would be approved by anti-trust. No competition would REALLY suck for us.
__________________
Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes or shark attacks.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2008, 12:31 PM
vdf22's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I agree, I doubt that would be approved by anti-trust. No competition would REALLY suck for us.
Yup, that would be even worse than it is now.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prices on Intel CPU going up?! a35599 CPU's and Motherboards 1 February 3, 2008 01:48 PM
Intel to lower Santa Rosa CPU prices by over 30% in 3Q: Digitimes Babrbarossa Rumor Mill 0 June 18, 2007 06:34 AM
Eeek! Several GeForce 7s to hit end of life in April Babrbarossa Rumor Mill 6 April 5, 2007 04:55 PM
Intel to release new P35 chipset in April or May Babrbarossa Press Releases & Tech News 0 March 15, 2007 11:31 AM
Core 2 Duo price cuts in april with 2nd gen. pricing Babrbarossa Rumor Mill 0 February 22, 2007 07:46 AM