Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2011, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Increase Maximum File Transfer size of USB in Windows 7 | Hotfix

I thought this may be of interest for those with windows 7 .
I am backing up my drive and am going to apply this hotfix to see if I notice any difference
oh I guess that it would help if I posted the link and the article wouldn't it

[COLOR=#]http://www.blogsolut...indows-7/17866/

In Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2, the maximum transfer size of USB is set to 64 KB. It means at one instant, maximum file size to be transferred from Windows 7 Computer to USB Devices is 64 KB. To override that restriction, Microsoft released a hotfix to increase the maximum transfer size from 64 kilobytes (KB) to 2 megabytes (MB) in the Usbstor.sys driver.

Download Update kb2581464 from official website. Select the Windows version (32 or 64 Bit) and enter email address to request download link on email.

1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\usbstor\054C00C1

3. Click Edit, point to New, and then click DWORDValue.
4. Type MaximumTransferLength, and then press Enter.
5. Click Edit, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type a value to specify the maximum transfer size between 64KB and 2MB. For example, you select Decimal and type a value between 65535 (64K) and 2097120 (2M).

7. Exit Registry Editor.

Restart the computer and changes are made now! Try connecting USB Pendrive or something and you will notice changes immediately when transferring file.[/color]
Old August 21, 2011, 09:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Question

Have you noticed any changes?

In microsoft's actual hotfix support page, An update to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2, states that:
Registry information

To use the hotfix in this package, you do not have to make any changes to the registry.

Yet, further on it states:

After you install this update, to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start , type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
  2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbstor\VVVV PPPP
  3. Click Edit, point to New, and then click DWORDValue.
  4. Type MaximumTransferLength, and then press Enter.
  5. Click Edit, and then click Modify.
  6. In the Value data box, type a value to specify the maximum transfer size between 64KB and 2MB. For example, you select Decimal and type a value between 65535 (64K) and 2097120 (2M).
  7. Exit Registry Editor.
Notes
  • VVVV represents device descriptor idVendor in hexadecimal.
  • PPPP represents device descriptor idProduct in hexadecimal.
So, is it just me or are they contradicting themselves?
Old August 21, 2011, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I just transfered about 9 Gb video files onto a 15 Gb usb pendrive and I have to say that it took allot less time ( approximately 1/3rd) then usual so it works great for me.
Old August 21, 2011, 01:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thumbs up Thanks for being a our guinea pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Well I just transfered about 9 Gb video files onto a 15 Gb usb pendrive and I have to say that it took allot less time ( approximately 1/3rd) then usual so it works great for me.
Cool cool, then I shall implement the hotfix starting with my laptop. Thanks for being a our guinea pig.