Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15, 2011, 08:28 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Google buying Motorola Mobility [Globe and Mail]

Looks like Google is getting its fingers into the smartphone hardware business:
Quote:
In its largest acquisition to date, Google Inc. is buying mobile phone maker Motorola Mobility for $12.5-billion (U.S.) - a blockbuster move that will redraw the global map for mobile communications and high technology.

The Mountain View, Calif.-based web search giant, which has pushed deeper into mobile with its incredibly successful free mobile operating system, Android, announced the deal with Motorola on Monday morning, saying that the boards of both companies have unanimously approved the deal.

Monday's deal, which still needs regulatory approval, sees Google acquiring an advanced maker of both smart phones and tablet computers and will give the search giant a big advantage as it pushes forward into the mobile world.

At the same time, the company said it's strategy for Android -- and pushing it onto as many devices as possible around the world -- remains unchanged, and that Google would continue to work with its existing partners and developers.
Google plans to continue offering Android to other makers (would be stupid not to, with Android's growth) but it will still be interesting to see what comes out of this for Android partners.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 15, 2011, 08:31 AM
Banned
F@H

t'was good to have had shares of mot :)

still, this should indeed be quite interesting in the coming quarters :)
Old August 15, 2011, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilesyrup
“We recently explained how companies including Microsoft and Apple are banding together in anti-competitive patent attacks on Android. The U.S. Department of Justice had to intervene in the results of one recent patent auction to “protect competition and innovation in the open source software community” and it is currently looking into the results of the Nortel auction. Our acquisition of Motorola will increase competition by strengthening Google’s patent portfolio, which will enable us to better protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies.”
Source

It seems like it's more for the patents to protect Android as a whole.
Old August 15, 2011, 09:01 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hope it improves Motorola's phones because as of now I will never buy anything Motorola again.
Old August 15, 2011, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

It was definitely a move to compete for patents with Apple. As much as I want motorola's phones to improve, I think google is just going to leave the company as it is, just owning it for the patents. Maybe the next nexus phone will be a motorola..
Old August 15, 2011, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
It was definitely a move to compete for patents with Apple. As much as I want motorola's phones to improve, I think google is just going to leave the company as it is, just owning it for the patents. Maybe the next nexus phone will be a motorola..
From the rumours floating around it might be a Samsung. It would mean the one afte that will be moto though.

This is great news. It could mean that a good fight against hardware fragmentation!

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old August 15, 2011, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

I meant the next after the prime. I'm also thinking it might be an HTC
Old August 15, 2011, 02:29 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Interestingly, Google will have to cough up 2.5 billion if the deal doesn't go through.
Old August 15, 2011, 03:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Interesting read on the deal and what Google may be planning

Everyone Who Thinks Google's Just Going To Spin Off Motorola's Lousy Hardware Business Needs To Consider Another Scary Possibility...
Old August 15, 2011, 03:35 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I too was thinking that this was a patent-grab after reading a few stories today, but the fact that Microsoft was looking to buy just Motorola's patents but Google ended up buying the patents and manufacturing is very interesting (unless Motorola was desperate tom unload these facilities).
Fold for team #54196