Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9, 2011, 08:34 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default Seagate Ships 1 Million Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Drives

Seagate has shipped its one millionth solid state hybrid drive for laptop PCs after launching the product Momentus XT in spring 2010. Major computer makers including Alienware, ASUS, Dell, Sony and Toshiba now offer laptops powered by the 2.5-inch drive that blends performance rivaling solid state drives with the enormous capacity and much lower cost of hard disk drives.

Read more here: Seagate Ships 1 Million Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Drives | Hardware Canucks
Old August 9, 2011, 09:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hopefully that means we'll see more of this kind of drive in the future. Of course there's the ability to use a separate SSD as cache like with the Z68 chipset, but having the SSD and HDD in a package means you don't have the added latency of bouncing signals off two drives on a storage controller.
Seagate should really make the Barracuda XT a hybrid drive like this one to justify its high price.

For my laptop (which I'm typing this post on), it's great because it definitely shaves off boot times for Windows 7 compared to a normal HDD. They should work on the power consumption though - there's a noticeable dip in battery life from a regular 7200RPM laptop drive.
Old August 9, 2011, 09:09 PM
Banned
F@H

perhaps in the future all mechanical(or non ssd type) drives will have a couple or more gig little ssd in them.

perfect os+storage solution,all in one...

say 120gb ssd on a 4+tb drive? :)
Old August 9, 2011, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

I've been itching to try out one of these drives.
Old August 9, 2011, 10:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
I've been itching to try out one of these drives.
Me too. I've been contemplating grabbing a 500GB one for my laptop for a while now..