Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2011, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

I don't want blackberry or RIM to die, nonono. I just want them to step up their game.

the physical construction of the BB is pretty solid, and if it works it usually works well and can take a LOT of abuse. When I said the construction was poor I was mostly referring to the quality of the hardware they are using, not the assembly. I've seen more bolds his pavement then I care to know, even ones without cases, come off of the ground with barely a scratch. Curiously though, what model do you have Sky? one of the older, better (for the time) ones? :P, Any case?
Old August 4, 2011, 11:22 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
Curiously though, what model do you have Sky? one of the older, better (for the time) ones? :P, Any case?
I believe it is the 8830.

And cases are for pussies and their fragile phones.
Old August 4, 2011, 11:37 AM
MVP
F@H

My 9000 kicked the bucket after 3 years a couple of months ago. That thing had been dropped, kicked, stepped on, fallen in puddles, fallen down stairs, been chewed on by the dog, and it kept on running. No case either. One time I dropped it and it bounced off the pavement and I caught it again. There's something to be said for the durability of that phone.

@Sky are you suggesting that pacifism is a Canadian export? :-p
Old August 4, 2011, 11:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

yeah well see Sky, the older blackberries was rockin'. I -dare- you to try out a newer model and come back with the same opinion.
Old August 4, 2011, 02:20 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
If the 9900 / 9930 can't run for AT LEAST two days on a charge and hit the $99 (with 3 year contract) price point, I'll consider it an epic failure.
I don't know who your provider is but it seems like this is an epic failure from Robber$.

"...The Bold 9900 will be $249.99 and the Torch 9810 will be $199.99 with select three year plans.
Old August 4, 2011, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL goodbye RIM, see you in history!
Old August 5, 2011, 09:58 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Now one of our Blackberrys won't connect via usb to anything. Piece of crap. The problems with these units never end.
Old August 5, 2011, 10:16 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Are they effing kidding!? $250!? That ONE HUNDRED bucks more than an iPhone4 16GB!

They must be smoking some serious shit over there...if these prices hold true, RIM has just lost one of their major proponents.

Or is this Rogers hoping for a cash grab? Considering the "retail" value of the 9900 is supposed to be $600, that usually means the 3-year contract price would be around $150.
Old August 5, 2011, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
For the vast majority of my job, I am on construction sites and I can tell you that there isn't a smartphone on the planet that could stand up to the abuse my BlackBerry has suffered. As MAC can attest to, this thing has chunks taken out of it, has fallen from 4+ stories up, spent the night in a pool (gotta love Vegas...) and is missing 3/4 of its paint. It still works and serves up 2-3 days of battery live to boot.
I watched a girl drop hers into a pool. It sat at the bottom, still on.

She dove down to get it and it was still on. I yanked the battery for her, blew it out, then left it in a bag of Silica gel overnight.

The thing is still working....
Old August 5, 2011, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Press Release & Tech News

I still say if a Canadian product bodes as well as others that we should support it. If it's crap, well, who'd want it. That said, if RIM doesn't pick up their socks and keep their advantage in the business

end in some way then, maybe a takeover may happen or they will become redundant. I haven't heard of quite as many issues as some of the iPhone ones though I'm sure from the comments in this

thread that there are plenty of problems. It seems many of these phones come with bugs regardless of who the manufacturer is.