Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2011, 06:55 AM
Allstar

I don't see how it's a big mistake. Sure it took me a while to get used to typing on it compared to the BB but there is no way I'll ever go back at this point.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old August 4, 2011, 09:02 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

More crap from RIM. Die.
Old August 4, 2011, 09:10 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have fat fingers, touch screen only is not an option, the combo from the 9900 is going to be awesome coupled with the new OS. RIM haters always be hating. Jim i got your back keep doing what your doing, late is better than flawed aka iphone 4 signal reception etc...
Old August 4, 2011, 09:17 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yup, I agree. These are for professionals who don't want or need all the junk that Android and Apple phones bring to the market. I don't need to play around with my phone or show people my new pointless fart app; I need it for work and that's about it.

However, RIM needs to nail it in two areas for me on this one: battery life and price. If the 9900 / 9930 can't run for AT LEAST two days on a charge and hit the $99 (with 3 year contract) price point, I'll consider it an epic failure.
Old August 4, 2011, 10:20 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Reynolds View Post
I find the Blackberry OS to be unbearably clunky and slow. I'm on a Android Samsung Galaxy S right now, which is moderately better though, and I hate to say it, it is no iPhone.
While the older BB OS has its flaws, I can guarantee you there is NOTHING slow and clunky about the new OS .
Old August 4, 2011, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

You see, the problem with your statement Sky is that BBs -do not- work. They freeze, they lag, require constant reboots in some cases, the keyboard or software is screwed up on the 9780 models where single keypresses turn into multiple keypresses. The construction is horrible (The gf's family have had to return 3 of their 4 BB 9700's, AND nearly everyone I know with a BB has had to return it or has a hardware problem) and the hardware is horribly outdated. and RIM is horribly out of date with technology. the 9700's should never have gotten the OS 6 upgrade. You have to connect your phone to a computer with a USB cord to sync the most basic of things like contacts? Has RIM not heard of the cloud yet?

RIM needs to grow the frak up. I don't hate RIM, I like (even love) the concepts and the basic idea of the product they deliver but they have slipped majorly as of late.

and fat fingers ain't going to help you on a BB, the keys are tiiiiiinnnyyyy. I don't have rather large fingers and I still have issues with the keys sometimes, though that being said the ridges on 9000 series are a vast improvement and I think with more constant use I would improve. That being said, currently I have much better speed 'typing' with swype on my android phone then typing on the gf's blackberry.

The iPhone is good for the non-techies, otherwise I'm sorry but Android all the way. It doesn't have to be a toy if you don't configure it as such. I want the BB to come back as the de-facto messaging phone, but it needs to compete with what Android has to offer (note, not iPhone, just Android)
Old August 4, 2011, 11:36 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Couldn't have said it better LarkStarr. We have 6 blackberry's here and I spend more time dealing with their issues than I do looking after a dozen servers and 87 desktops. World's worst software and hardware.

Die RIM.

Edit: Also, warranty is a joke. We had one that the thumbpad stopped working after a month. Did a quick search and there were thousands with the same issue, the tiny ribbon connector to the mainboard. Tried all the workarounds, none helped so I sent it off for repair. RIM sent it back saying it was water damage. Assholes. I had a fricking magnifying glass on the unit when I was trying to fix it and there was no way there was any moisture ever near that unit. I went over it again when we got it back. The owner had only used it a month and She swore it never went near any moisture, and I believe her.

I called the local outlet who sold us the unit and told them to replace it free or they can have all of them back, so they had to eat the cost on that.

Die RIM, assholes.

Last edited by Squeetard; August 4, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old August 4, 2011, 11:56 AM

For the vast majority of my job, I am on construction sites and I can tell you that there isn't a smartphone on the planet that could stand up to the abuse my BlackBerry has suffered. As MAC can attest to, this thing has chunks taken out of it, has fallen from 4+ stories up, spent the night in a pool (gotta love Vegas...) and is missing 3/4 of its paint. It still works and serves up 2-3 days of battery live to boot.

I will however say that my girlfriend's old BB Pearl and newer Curve were serious lemons.

But would I consider getting an iPhone or keypad-less Android phone? No, never.
Old August 4, 2011, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Press Release & Tech News

I own the 9700 and love it. Problem is I don't text, and don't use many of the features so it's a bit overkill 4 me but I love it anyway. To bump up right now would b a waste 4 me.

We should b buying Blackberry phones because they're Canadian and good phones, imho! I like playing games while waiting 4 appointments,... hehe
Old August 4, 2011, 12:12 PM

I won't buy a product just because it is Canadian. If that was the case, I'd be a Bricklin driving, LuluLemon wearing pacifist who only eats Poutine and PEI taters.