Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2011, 01:43 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Sandy Bridge-E to Launch in 2011?

A number of weeks ago it was widely reported that Intel had decided to delay the release of their Sandy Bridge E platform until January 2012. Now VR-Zone, who broke the story of the delay first, is reporting that Intel will release the chip at the end of the year albeit with less features.

READ MORE
Old July 19, 2011, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The apparent cuts that Intel is willing to make to ensure this chip makes it to market by the end of 2011 are the PCI Express 3.0 storage link to the CPU and four of the planned eight SATA/SAS 6bps ports.
Intel planned for Sandy Bridge-E to be their first PCI-Express 3.0 enabled CPU. VR-Zone claims that Intel is investigating some sort of solution to add the features post launch be it a second revision of the X79 chipset or a BIOS patch.
So, the CPU's themselves have the capability from the sounds of it, but they are going to be artificially limiting them via bios or chipset revisions? Oooookaaaay?

Another reason to continue waiting, and not be on the bleeding edge.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old July 20, 2011, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I will be waiting for awhile. My computer is good enough. Maybe when BF3 or if some other game I can't run max comes out I will think of upgrading. I want the next CPU/mobo to be future proof as possible. So PCIe 3.0, Sata 6Gb/s, etc.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 21, 2011, 05:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I am not investing in this, my 1366 and X6 systems both punch out great numbers. And I bet they still will for a year to come.
no point spending the cost of a system on just the chip...

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 21, 2011, 06:21 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Moore's law can't be in effect these days right? I've been running this i7-920 for 2 years now and it is still almost as fast as anything else out there. No reason to upgrade.
Old July 21, 2011, 06:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not understanding why they would release something half *ssed just to get it out there?

Why not wait since Bulldozer will probably if anything only complete with the current sandy bridge and i7 chips.

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old July 21, 2011, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Because intel will still sell the same amount of chips anyways because the only people buy SB-E are people who either need an e-peen extension or people who actually need the extra speed. These are the people who will buy them either way so intel probably doesn't care.
Old July 21, 2011, 08:27 AM
Banned
F@H

look at it this way.

for some folks buyin a 1k cpu and 400 dollarski mobo with a 500 dollors ram kit is like you

buying a celeron+2gigs of ram and mobo with onboard ram for a grand total of 50 bucks lol.

plus hell be able to not face scorn in front of his milionaires frendswhen he'll say something tarded like :

'oh,my secretary needed a new puter so i ordered her a 5k one,now she can check those damn emails better than on the

old dinosaur(980x puter)' :D

i heard it a couple of times,insert system specs depending on the year.
Old July 21, 2011, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Because intel will still sell the same amount of chips anyways because the only people buy SB-E are people who either need an e-peen extension or people who actually need the extra speed. These are the people who will buy them either way so intel probably doesn't care.
You also forgot to add cause the flock will lisen to what intel & others say to them & the " oh you GOTTA buy a intel cause there the best period !! ". Meanwhile they could probly be happy doin what they normaly do with a AMD based solution + cash in the pocket if they ignored being another "sheep".

I still remember ages ago there where peaple that swore up & down that ya gotta buy the intel cpu & intel branded board cause "it was the best period". $700-1000 later for the cpu & intel branded board ... asus comes along & has the same board chipset, higher preformance AND $100 less ... how long do you think it took the consumer to see intel's decievement on there products.

If you ask me BOTH company's are seeing there lines startin to have less n less left on them ... but i think while amd may not have the equal preformance to intel (don't think either company will till 1 of them folds) I feel AMD is making more + developments in the technoligy market. I mean how many generations now has intel massaged/stimulated/manipulated the SAME base architechure in cpus now ?? by my calculations i believe its 5-6 now ...

Last edited by terrybear; July 21, 2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old July 21, 2011, 09:24 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Yeah I am not investing in this, my 1366 and X6 systems both punch out great numbers. And I bet they still will for a year to come.
no point spending the cost of a system on just the chip...

ST
Heck even after 2 years I'm still thoroughly pleased with my i7 860.

I haven't even overclocked it yet because I have no issues playing just about every game (will probably overclocked for BF3).