Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

Default AMD's Next-Generation Opteron "Bulldozer" Chips to Feature Adjustable TDP

" AMD's Interlagos and Valencia to Sport TDP Power Cap Feature

Advanced Micro Devices' next-generation Opteron microprocessors based on Bulldozer micro-architecture will support capability to adjust maximum thermal design power (TDP). The technology will allow customers to regulate TDPs in order to balance power consumption and performance of data centers.

Today's AMD Opteron processors allow turning off processor states in order to reduce power consumption, though that ultimately can lead to somewhat lower performance. Still, some large server users value power efficiency higher than pure performance. AMD promises that code-named Interlagos and Valencia will be able to reduce the TDP and maintain performance level of the chips."

For more continue to read here: AMD's Next-Generation Opteron "Bulldozer" Chips to Feature Adjustable TDP - X-bit labs

Old June 30, 2011, 09:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

This seems somewhat redundant. If its TDP can be reduced while maintaining peak performance, why not just.. permanently reduce the TDP.

Presumably an extra notch of speed would be gained with the highest tdp, otherwise, this is just dementia.
Old June 30, 2011, 10:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone63 View Post
This seems somewhat redundant. If its TDP can be reduced while maintaining peak performance, why not just.. permanently reduce the TDP.

Presumably an extra notch of speed would be gained with the highest tdp, otherwise, this is just dementia.
Well it doesn;t necessarily maintain the same performance. It's like undervolting a processor, not all processors even of the same name are equal so they pick a safe range for the processors so they all run stable.

If they don't underestimate their TDP some processors won't be stable at the stock clocks.
Old July 18, 2011, 01:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Anything new...?
Damn I'm sick of waiting for Dozer... hope at least it will be able to give a proper fight to sandy...
Old July 18, 2011, 02:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
Anything new...?
Damn I'm sick of waiting for Dozer... hope at least it will be able to give a proper fight to sandy...
I swear it seems like I've been hearing about Bulldozer since I graduated high-school, which was 2004.
Old July 18, 2011, 05:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah news has been dead... You'd think it would be fairly busy because once bulldozer comes out you wont hear about anything else for a while so companies will want to announce their product first. But then again bulldozer isn't all that close to coming out and you just can't rush certain products.