Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14, 2011, 11:47 AM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default New Free to Play Games Arriving on Steam

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today introduced support for Free to Play (F2P) Games on Steam with the launch of five F2P games. Available immediately, the launch titles are Spiral Knights, Forsaken World... [ Read full article ]
Old June 15, 2011, 10:47 AM
Rookie

That's cool but didn't steam already have a free game? It was an overhead shooter where you killed aliens. Can't remember what it was called but it was released like a year ago. Alien swarm maybe?
Old June 15, 2011, 03:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Alien Swarm was just a free game from Valve. Probably as a way to just get more people on to Steam. These are F2P games from other devs that you can still buy things via micro transactions in the game. Usually better items and such to level up your class.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old June 17, 2011, 11:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thumbs down

Okay...so this "rant" is coming from me...the "idealist"...who wants a world that doesn't exist. But i've got to say it despite most people's acceptance of business, economy, and monetary systems. This little marketing ploy does nothing for me...and isn't even news worthy in my opinion.
I suppose you could say that Hardware Canucks would not be doing their job if they didn't tell us about it. But put in, what I think...is its proper perspective, this "free game" aspect of Steam is not a worthy bonus feature for a system that denies us a copy of our product.

The worst software and gaming experience in my 10 years of PC gaming, came when I used Steam.
I had to use Steam...or as I later discovered...something similar.
F1 2010 wasn't available on DVD.
So I paid about $40 to Steam, then another $40 or so to buy F1 2010.
Then I found out I had to use Windows Live Gaming system or I wouldn't get online or get updates.
And then...I found out I did not actually have a copy of the game that I could back up myself. That I was so dependant on Steam, that if they went bankrupt or were bought out by another company...i'd lose my investment as a consumer. (has anyone really thought about this aspect?)

I could add that, when I used Live to update...my eyefinity system stopped working. No reply from Codemasters about this.
To rub salt in the wound, I then found out F1 2010 was distributed with a known lag issue with gear shifting.
Could I have had any worse experience after not buying any games for 5 years?

So this new corporate cooperative monster has helped resolve pirating issues? I hope so, because as usual, it's the consumer that pays...and pays...and pays. Do you think perhaps the free games are just to "cloud" any negative perspectives out there by forcing consumers to use this new system? A little treat to make you forget the negative aspects of Steam.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not totally against cloud systems. And i'm not supporting piracy. I can show you a purchased copy of every game I play...and i've invested heavily in racing games on two platforms for over 20 years.

For over a decade in my workplace, we've watched as publishers refuse to give us digital copies of magazines...even though we paid for them. Isn't that nice for them? All these years that we bought print magazine...we got a copy for ourselves. But now, because of thier paranoia about copyright...we buy an "e" copy of the magazine...but it cannot sit on our servers at the university due to their fears. Well...fortunately, due to some Ontario colleges and universities fighting this issue together against the publishers...things are changing...and some of our e-magazines our now on our local servers.

So, when I look at the "free game" marketing ploy for Steam...I say...this is an insult to the consumer. A consumer that they hope to placate as they rake more money from us in other ways...and give us less in the process (like the right to have a copy of the product) ...and they laugh all the way to the bank.
Old June 17, 2011, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

So I paid about $40 to Steam, then another $40 or so to buy F1 2010.

Why did you pay $40 to steam? The software has always been free.

Or do you mean you BOUGHT it from Steam and then bought the game AGAIN?

This wasn't a problem with steam you encountered it was with the game developer.
Old June 18, 2011, 01:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I guess i'm remembering incorrectly. I thought I made two payments in order to get F1 2010 to run. I only bought the game once through Steam.

Anyways...the point was...free games don't make up for us not having our own copy of a product we paid for. And this type of business will never talk about what happens to your "product" if they go bankrupt...or are bought out.
Old June 18, 2011, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

oh no.. it will make poor gamers lost thier jobs... >_>;
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old June 18, 2011, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Free to play games are not exclusive to Steam and are not new. These were already existing F2P games you were able to get from elsewhere. Their coming to Steam is what is new.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old June 18, 2011, 09:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You can very easily backup your games that you have on steam...
yes you need steam to use the back-up.
(this can be done 2 ways.. either by copying the folder with the game data that is in your steam folder or by going to steam>backup and restore>etc etc follow the instructions)

Steam is a method of content delivery and management. Yes you may have concerns that they could be swallowed by another organization, however you will already own a licence to use the games you have already purchased and as such it shouldn't affect your games. If the company went bust(I can't see how as steam is a goldmine in PC gaming distribution) then I could only imagine that steam would be taken over by another entity and as such the games you already own shouldn't be affected anyway.
Any games company can go bust / withdraw support for any game at any time. I really don't get what makes steam (valve) different.

As for the problems you had, ie having to use the live link whatever, eyefinity not working or lag issues.. Well thats because of the developer / AMD (be it game or driver issues), not valve through steam, as they are only the distributors of the game.

If you want hard copies, you are free to go to any retailer and buy a hard copy. Steam provides an alternative that you do not have to use. AND IT'S FREE

Personally, I very rarely buy games on steam unless there is an extremely good offer on them but most of my games are managed by steam. It's convenient to be able to access my games from any pc in the world (with internet) and not to have to carry disks around to launch each game that I own.

In my view the benefits far outweigh the risks.

As for steam or more to the point valve being a money hungry corporation. they fought Microsoft to make DLC for L4D on the Xbox free.. They also support a plethora of mods not to mention some of their own free games.

Last edited by Dzzope; June 18, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old June 20, 2011, 04:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1961 View Post
I guess i'm remembering incorrectly. I thought I made two payments in order to get F1 2010 to run. I only bought the game once through Steam.

Anyways...the point was...free games don't make up for us not having our own copy of a product we paid for. And this type of business will never talk about what happens to your "product" if they go bankrupt...or are bought out.
Probably, Steam do charge a commission on game distribution through their service but the charges are inclusive in the one of payment you make to obtain the game, maybe you actually bought two versions of the game?

And the chances of steam going bankrupt are negligible to say the least, however in the event that they do, I'm pretty sure the steam reliant component of DRM will be removed from the games and users will be able to continue playing them as usual. In addition, Steam does offer a function to back up local content that you can burn onto a CD or whatever else, its just that you have to have a valid steam account with ownership of a given game to execute it.