Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2011, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

YouTube - ‪Building "Windows 8" - Video #1‬‏
Old June 1, 2011, 06:30 PM
Unregistered

u guys totally forgot to mention... this thing is aimed at tablet market... (with all the touch-action goin on....)
but def not fit for desktop////
Old June 1, 2011, 06:54 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

At the D9 conference they mentioned that SEVERAL elements will be going into versions other than the one meant for the tablet market. I have a feeling that the Metro UI will indeed show up in some form...hence why we can't really comment on what will be there and what won't.
Old June 1, 2011, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
u guys totally forgot to mention... this thing is aimed at tablet market... (with all the touch-action goin on....)
but def not fit for desktop////
look at the video, they use the word PC many time, and actually I like what I see, you still have the traditionnal desktop at the back, just thing to a HTPC with those tiles...
Old June 1, 2011, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

God, I really hate the way that is. I hate the stupid tile thing, hell I like my desktop and having wallpapers.

I just feel like everything is heading towards this cluttered screen view thing. I know my desktop is basically empty and I have everything under the start menu. If now I will have to scroll through a bunch of tiles then Windows 8 can shove it up its ass.

Oh and has anyone actually tried using touch on a desktop? It sucks and is not the way to go.

Now this does look like a decent tablet OS, but it is not suitable for a desktop.

Last edited by ipaine; June 1, 2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old June 1, 2011, 09:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

From what I saw on the video and the comments I would say it is going to be the same experience across multiple platforms, IMO in the long run a good thing. It also looks like the "7" superbar and start is still there witch leads me to believe a few quick tweaks will have the UI of 7 back as your desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old June 2, 2011, 05:48 AM
Allstar

The tile thing scared me until near the end when they launched office, It just looks like a MCE style program. There is no way they are going to release this to businesses without a way to disabling the tile interface.... or at least thats what I am going to keep telling myself.
Old June 2, 2011, 06:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Windows 8 will look just like 7 but the UI will have a ribbon bar like Office and such.
I so don't get it. Personally windows 7 was a big step forward in terms of stability from vista... but i so don't get this.

Do they really think anyone buys their OS's for the UI? My god, i know so many of our clients that will specifically avoid changing OS's because of 1) instability 2) usability

I wish they would make a Windows 95 style OS, missing all the stupid bells and whistles no one uses, has focus on stability, logging, troubleshooting and user ease. I would personally pay a premium for that, i'm sure my company would be an easy sell for that too.
Old June 2, 2011, 06:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly, Windows UI experience started going downhill after Windows 98 / ME.

"hide known file types", Windows 7's nameless icons on the taskbar and removal of the quick "classic" style start menus just clogs up the UI and makes it useless.

I don't understand why they insist on changing fundamentals of the GUI every revision?
Old June 3, 2011, 09:30 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I have to say I hate the tiles. Thankfully, it looks as though the Windows 7 UI still runs in the background which probably means you can switch over as Supergrover said. The new UI will probably cause them to lose a lot of business users, as well. Can you imagine trying to work on that!?