Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2011, 11:36 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Intel Announces Retroactive Warranty Increase for all 320-series SSDs

Intel has thrown a bone towards customers who bought their 320-series SSDs by retroactively increasing warranty length from 3 to 5 years.

From Intel:

Confident in the enhanced reliability features of it?s recently introduced third-generation solid-state drive (SSD), Intel announced it has extended its limited warranty for the Intel...

[ Read full article ]

Last edited by SKYMTL; May 19, 2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:33 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It's always good to see this happening, that's for sure.
Old May 19, 2011, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's awesome. Come to think of it I haven't heard much of Intel drives failing.... anyone care to comment?
Old May 19, 2011, 05:47 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

My main rig has seen two Vertex's fail, and the folding rig with the Intel SSD has never seen one. Not a scientific comparison, but the folding rig does mess with constant bigadvs.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 19, 2011, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

good for the giant, with the finance and kniwledge they have I think it is a good move.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old May 19, 2011, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AFAIK Intel uses a much softer ITGC/TRIM to prolong the life of the cells, at the cost of a little performance. OCZ, OTOH uses very aggressive cleaning that results in the industry leading performance we've seen from them.

That, and remember Intel's business model, they expect you to use their products for many years and are willing to sacrifice features and performance in order to get that lifespan. Their motherboards are the perfect example, Intel boards are usually the last to adopt new standards and usually lack many features that are almost industry standard.
Old May 20, 2011, 05:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

From personal experience, having gone through the annoyance of having a few SSD's crash and burn.

I like this news from Intel!

Its one thing to have a drive be fast (*cough* ocz *cough*), however there is a lot to be said for having a reliable product.

I can totally see, tacking on a longer warranty a great way to maintain profits, and also give consumer confidence that the manufacturer stands behind their product line 110%
This is something very nice for consumers to consider, with purchasing & comparing Intel 320 series ssd's to the competition.
Old May 20, 2011, 06:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

While I too believe Intel SSD's appear to be more reliable (to an extent), does any else look at this with a little skepticism? It's like they know something we don't haha. But like mentioned above, I have a feeling this will swing some buyers over to the Intel side. Also, who's gonna complain about extended warranties?