Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2011, 09:48 AM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default Microsoft to Acquire Skype

Microsoft has announced today that it plans to acquire the ever popular VoIP application Skype. This is Microsoft's priciest acquisition to date, and Skype has yet to turn a profit. What is their play here? Integration into Xbox Live, or perhaps a re-brand as the Windows 7 phone? Edmond, Washington and Luxemborg ? May 10, 2011 ? Microsoft Corp. an... [ Read full article ]
Old May 10, 2011, 06:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Old May 10, 2011, 06:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

ugh, well on the bright side maybe they can fix skype's shitty UI. Every time they update their POS software there is a worse UI than the last time.
Old May 10, 2011, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

I wonder what this will do for Apple and Skype?

Google has Gtalk for Android phones.
Old May 10, 2011, 07:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As long as they keep the skype team since they are doing decent job I agree.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 10, 2011, 10:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Skype has been notoriously bad at making a profit, I'm wondering how Microsoft is going to change that, I hope in a way that doesnt result in everything coming with a charge. I think microsoft is well suited to it though, with kinect and windows phone on top of the obvious windows uses. The good news also being that other platforms will still be supported

This is for the best however, in my opnion, the alternatives of Google or Facebook did not appeal to me.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:20 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I hope they screw it up ... I hope everyone stops using it. I can't stand Skype. It has been going downhill for a long time now. Call quality is crap, file transfers are incredibly slow, ads pop up in the UI even with the promotions and tips function turned off ... etc. They keep integrating more crap into it ... adding tons of bloat. ARGH! It makes me so angry. I hate myself every time I pay for minutes. If it wasn't necessary for work it wouldn't even be installed.

Oh and the mobile version on both Android and iOS is garbage. It rarely works properly when you are logged in on a computer and your mobile device. It has so many issues.

Google voice's call quality is a million times better than Skype ... and since everything I have is synced via gmail, android phone etc, it's much easier to use.
Old May 12, 2011, 04:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

skype has worked quite well for me in the past and seeing how google voice is still US only, just like most things google, I dont see me changing services. And skype on webos works quite well, integrated right into the phone app, sadly only on verizon for now.
Old May 13, 2011, 07:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

From my perspective, this is a way Microripoff can use the skype team in adding a future technology for them. It looks like they can use this technology on Microsoft live, or there cell phones. Voip is really the future of the telecom technologies, no more cables all done with wifi or the 3/4g network. So this take over gives them a head start and developing Microsoft skype that they will charge a signal charge per month to talk to anyone in the world using a mobile/video game system device and they do not have to do the r and d themselves right from the start they can take over where the skype team left off. Smart move on Mircosoft.

remember just my opinion