Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2011, 11:22 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Motherboard Manufacturers Expected to Show X79 at Computex 2011

With the Z68 chipset release on the horizon, it has already become old news, with the attention of consumers and manufacturers turning to the next generation of Intel chipsets based on the yet to be released LGA 2011 socket. Details have surfaced that the first iteration of the next-gen systems chipset will be labeled the Intel X79 Chipset, known b... [ Read full article ]
Old May 3, 2011, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Oh really,

If they can show some numbers, this may be really bad for AMD and Dozer.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old May 3, 2011, 02:33 PM
Unregistered

Default USB

And still, with the USB 2.0? I would think by now they would have 3.0 so many months after USB 3.0 has been standardized.
Old May 3, 2011, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
Oh really,

If they can show some numbers, this may be really bad for AMD and Dozer.
Well socket 2011 is supposed to be replacing 1366 in other waords you will probably be paying upwards of $700 for the processor. Dozer is aimed at beating out 1155 and so they will give more cores for less money and they should have similar performance (so the rumors go anyways).

I'm not too worried about AMD because I think they will win over the budget gamers with dozer.

Edit: This is a prediction by me not fact. I am not a fanboy of either brand this is just how I think the cards will be played.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:43 PM
SkullTrail

Default Hmmm?

If you're looking at a 1366 upgrade to 2011 think carefully. Socket 2011 will be a short lived product because of Intel's new 3D transistor technology. Socket 2011 is just a rehashed Xeon to fill the gap. Remember SkullTrail? LGA771? 1366 enjoyed (and is still enjoying a long life). 2011 won't have any of the new hotness that the revised 1155 will be getting. PCI-e 3.0 for graphics (not storage), integrated USB3 etc. I would steer clear until the revamped Ivy Bridge platform for enthusiasts comes out.
Old May 30, 2011, 05:30 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Found a thread over at XS with some interesting shots of X79 boards...the DIMM layout is really interesting, especially for those with big air coolers and tall heatspreaders on the ram:

Sources:
Computex 2011 – Implementari Intel X79 de la ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI si ASRock | lab501

Computex 2011 - X79 motherboards - XtremeSystems Forums

UD3??? With all those PCI-E slots?

Fold for team #54196
Old May 30, 2011, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quad channel, single stick RAM? Weird!

I'm probably going to sit this chipset out. I dont see much possibility of an advantage this round over the chips already released, and as previously mentioned, this will just be a refresh chipset for Ivy Bridge that doesnt add much besides Quad Channel Ram.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about