Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2011, 10:42 AM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Default Seagate Unveils World?s First Hard Drive Featuring 1 Terabyte Per Platter

Seagate today unveiled the world?s first 3.5-inch hard drive featuring 1TB of storage capacity per disk platter, breaking the 1TB areal density barrier to help meet explosive worldwide demand for digital content storage in both the home and the office. Seagate?s GoFlex Desk products are the first to feature the new hard ... [ Read full article ]
Old May 4, 2011, 07:36 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

1.5TB with 1TB platters...?
Old May 5, 2011, 06:02 AM
Anon

Default Yeah..

So just think of it as 3 layers with 1TB = 3TB
Old May 5, 2011, 06:10 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka View Post
1.5TB with 1TB platters...?
It would be a two plattter desing just hardware limited to 1.5TB. Just like any mass production PC part (think CPUs) there are some that dont make the grade at their full spec. Instead of throwing them out they test them and see if they have enough good zones for half spec...thus the oddballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon View Post
So just think of it as 3 layers with 1TB = 3TB
Me I am more interested in seeing FOUR platter 4TB'ers....and maybe if we are really, really lucky a five platter 5tb beast. Now THAT would be pure awesome.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 5, 2011, 08:44 AM
Banned
F@H

nice. indeed, the 5tb,5platter unit would be most welcome.

ak,where do you see platters vs density in desktop solutions going in the next few years?
Old May 5, 2011, 09:39 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
nice. indeed, the 5tb,5platter unit would be most welcome.

ak,where do you see platters vs density in desktop solutions going in the next few years?

Can someone tell me how on earth you need that much storage??? I have a 500gb HDD on my pc that have more that half of it of free space!
Old May 5, 2011, 09:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Movies, Music, Games, TV Shows, Backups, etc. It just grows and grows and grows. Don't think I'll be hopping on the 3TB drives anytime soon though.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old May 5, 2011, 10:05 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

My steam folder is damn near needing 3tb'er as it stands. Space is cheap so why not fill em up? Im about half way through my 20TB to 30TB conversion for my main rig. Add in a couple NAS boxes and the sooner the bigger boys hit the happier I will be. :)

@dan: you are going to continue seeing each gen getting bigger and bigger and faster and faster (I can just imagine how much of speed boost this level of density is going to give these drives!). The big two (now that Sammy and Hitachi are basicaly gone) are in a real old fashioned arms race. Though unlike the bigger cache wars, this one actually will result in noticeable differences to the consumers. They are all pouring a LOT of money into RnD and there are a couple different approaches which may see the light of day; though the way things are going they had better perfect CPP-GMR or one of these other unique ways of combating moore's law ASAP as we are getting closer and closer to the limits of the magnetic recording (even PMR) tech that is being used now. Though with phase change materials coming down the pipe (hopefully) hdd mfg'ers had better get something out to combat it sooner rather than later. Interesting times indeed are in store. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 5, 2011, 10:18 AM
Banned
F@H

nice. thanks maite

@c24 trust me, it adds up. still have stuff from wayyy back in the days of diskettes, i keep all lol!
Old May 5, 2011, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

Makes you wonder how fast 1TB single platter WD Blacks will become.