Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2011, 08:26 AM
Allstar

Default Nvidia agree to unlock SLI on AMD 9-series chipsets [VR-Zone]

"For so long, AMD enthusiasts have to resort to unofficial patches to make SLI work on their boards but not anymore. NVIDIA has finally agreed to make their SLI technology available for AMD 9-series chipsets boards supporting the Zambezi processors based on Bulldozer architecture"

Old March 31, 2011, 08:31 AM
Allstar

Do you think Nvidia know something about Bulldozer that may them think they will lose a lot of sale not giving SLI on AMD board ?
Old March 31, 2011, 08:37 AM
Banned
F@H

they have lost already a lot of sales 1-from licenses they couldve sold to mobo manu's and 2-dozer will perform,and it will
be popular,as long as its priced properly and not 'oh well,we finally closed the gap,lets price them way up' :D

makes no difference to people able to use their heads and not couch potato lazy not to click 2 times and have sli working on any mobo...:D
Old March 31, 2011, 08:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
they have lost already a lot of sales 1-from licenses they couldve sold to mobo manu's and 2-dozer will perform,and it will
be popular,as long as its priced properly and not 'oh well,we finally closed the gap,lets price them way up' :D

makes no difference to people able to use their heads and not couch potato lazy not to click 2 times and have sli working on any mobo...:D
Yes and the amount of problems that have occured with both games, and performance make it not an ideal solution.

I would rather something be supported rather than something that I constantly need to work on to get right. Case and point is TRIM on AMD as well. Sorry Dan, the way you look at that and talk about it is wrong in my eyes.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 31, 2011, 08:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
Do you think Nvidia know something about Bulldozer that may them think they will lose a lot of sale not giving SLI on AMD board ?
Doubt Bulldozer will be good enough to be the main reason. I think it's because Intel realizes they NEED Nvidia for the graphics/mobile/netbook/nettop segments. The companies have an agreement ATM for free exchange of information on some patents/technologies they hold. Nvidia probably realizes they can do this with no penalty now.
Old March 31, 2011, 08:59 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Yes and the amount of problems that have occured with both games, and performance make it not an ideal solution.

I would rather something be supported rather than something that I constantly need to work on to get right. Case and point is TRIM on AMD as well. Sorry Dan, the way you look at that and talk about it is wrong in my eyes.

ST
you lost me on that one.
Old March 31, 2011, 10:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Perhaps you are referring to something else? I'm guessing what dan is talking about is the BIOS patches that you can do with a couple clicks. That is basically no different than what NVIDIA offers (as far as I'm aware), just the legalities aren't there ;)
Old March 31, 2011, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Perhaps you are referring to something else? I'm guessing what dan is talking about is the BIOS patches that you can do with a couple clicks. That is basically no different than what NVIDIA offers (as far as I'm aware), just the legalities aren't there ;)
I took it dan was referring to running SLI on non SLI boards.. correct me if I'm wrong. And if that is the case this is a very hacked way of running things and its like trying to splice a 302 ford motor into a chevy truck and attaching a few wires.

It may run.. but not properly.

Myself personally.. SLI on a AMD board sounds wrong just as running CrossFire on Nvidia board would be weird.
Old March 31, 2011, 11:00 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I took it dan was referring to running SLI on non SLI boards.. correct me if I'm wrong. And if that is the case this is a very hacked way of running things and its like trying to splice a 302 ford motor into a chevy truck and attaching a few wires.

It may run.. but not properly.

Myself personally.. SLI on a AMD board sounds wrong just as running CrossFire on Nvidia board would be weird.

actually,not :D

its just the driver that gets or not the ok from the bios to enable sli. nothing more, nothing less.

its like you wiping off a smudge on your classic car. wont hurt it,wont make it run faster nor slower.
Old March 31, 2011, 12:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well if it's driver mods, then yes I can see how that can be unreliable.